Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Guru

Re: Jimmy Russel Interview complete with a sb.com shoutout

Oh, start a tread about the other brands Lazer, I'll jump in.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Just generally, I am sad at the long path WT has taken from my first taste of the 8-YO in the late 60's to today's product. In the mid-90's, the 101 proof 10-YO Russell's Reserve was awesome. But today's WT 101 barely qualifies for its mid-shelf pricing, IMHO. I still buy it occasionally, but I'm always disappointed.

Tim
    Sums up my impressions, although I have had only limited experience with the 101 proof RR. Today, I don't buy any of the new label WT101 as it is not the same quality of bourbon from even 5-6 years ago.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

And I think this brings up a point on the significance of adherence to traditional practices. I think clearly it is just a part of the picture, other factors include aging of the product (is the average age lower for the current line than 20 and 30 years ago?), possibly barrel wood being younger than a generation and more ago (this would apply to all distilleries), greater use (I would think) of metal vessels in the distillery, and so forth. I have heard that Maker's Mark enters at a notably low proof yet the bourbon as released today doesn't seem to show extra flavor as a result of that, as compared I mean to other brands roughly the same age. Dickel, which uses no computerized controls according to another thread on SB, is a decent but not superlative whiskey IMO. So I take it all with a grain of salt and taste testing in the end is the only sure way for anyone to decide what they will like. In WT, I still like Rare Breed - the proof is good and the mingling is effective. It may not be as good as years back, but it is still excellent. However, 101 seems (I agree with Tim) quite middling these days. And the new 81 when I last tried it seemed quite young and thorny, disappointing.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 01-17-2013 at 08:08.

I wonder how may people on here that say they don't like the current WT 101 were drinking something else before? Some bourbons are good leaders and some are good followers and some it don't matter. A good leader taste good if it's your first pour of the night but doesn't taste so good if you have been drinking something else. WT 101 IMO fits that profile. The followers don't taste so could as a first pour of the night but if you have been drinking something else they taste pretty good. Some go either way.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

That's interesting Paul. Never thought of it that way. But as to the 81, I think the first pour would never work for me, or the second or last!

Gary

Virtuoso

I finally got around to watching that. Well worth the time!

Did I hear him say the next barrel proof (Rare Breed) will be around 111 proof? Anyone know when this might be out?

Connoisseur

I noticed that maybe two or so years before the recent label change, WT101 did not taste as good as before. I would say it tasted more strongly of alcohol, and less of the tastes I like. A local drug store would have good sales from time to time. I've moved on to other things. The last Rare Breed I had was good, but near $40, it has some real stiff competition.