Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Balcones: Next stop, world domination?

Picked up a Rumble to lug to the sampler. Why the hell not.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    You've had a sample of the 1613 (It was never sold, I just got to try it at the distillery)?... It was already outstanding a year ago, IMHO.

It's a Bourbon - not True/Baby Blue Corn Whiskey.
    I'll throw in my support for Chip's bourbon. I tasted some at Binny's World of Whiskey tonight and was very impressed. Given that he only made one full-sized barrel of the stuff- as far as I understand it- he did a damn fine job.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    Child please, 1 barrel of bourbon made with good % of that going to reviewers. Let me know when Balcones has real production run of bourbon.
    Out of the 180ish bottles, we sent about 5-6 bottles to competition and placed very well in all of them (SF, ADI, SoA).

BTW, we don't have any tentative plans to do a full run of bourbon production. KY does bourbon well, and we'd like to let them have it. We're more interested in making Texas whisky, not just make whisky in Texas.

What was that you said at the distillery last year? "I'd buy this whole barrel if I could"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Picked up a Rumble to lug to the sampler. Why the hell not.
    I wish I could have gone I would have brought a bottle of our bourbon if I could have made it.

Connoisseur

I am utterly offended by the outrageous prices that Balcones sees fit as reasonable, and I think their True Blue is despicable, but I enjoyed their single malt a month or so ago at a barbecue restaurant in Adams Morgan. It deserved better than the disinterested hipsters who served it. Specifically, I liked the sharp pot still notes mingled with the dirty barley distillate. A good combination, though a bit sour in the finish, likely from the unconscionably young age at which it was released.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    I am utterly offended by the outrageous prices that Balcones sees fit as reasonable, and I think their True Blue is despicable, but I enjoyed their single malt a month or so ago at a barbecue restaurant in Adams Morgan. It deserved better than the disinterested hipsters who served it. Specifically, I liked the sharp pot still notes mingled with the dirty barley distillate. A good combination, though a bit sour in the finish, likely from the unconscionably young age at which it was released.
    I'm not sure if you're trying to be intentially offensive or brutally honest here. Either way I'm sure Winston is happy to receive constructive criticism, but any posts deemed derogatory will be removed.
    Last edited by camduncan; 05-26-2013 at 15:23.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    Sorry to hear your experience wasn't pleasant with the True Blue. It's a drastically different profile compared to bourbon and other traditional corn whiskies so I could understand that you didn't get what you expected.

We strive to continually improve the quality of our whiskies, perhaps one day they will be more to your liking. If you're game, I'd be happy to personally taste you on our newest batches the next time I make it to DC.

If you have any questions feel free to post them here or message me directly.

Enthusiast

Coincidentally, just as I finished writing that post Chip came into the office and handed me a sample of the new True Blue batch (13-1, 57.6%). Here's my take on it:

Nose: Explosive buttered corn, raw honey, Canadian maple syrup, cinnamon, subtle undertone of prickly pear with gentle oak and sandalwood.
    Palate: Sweet roasted corn, oily texture, caramel, spice
    Finish: Smooth with a combination of spice and light tannin, finishes clean with a lingering tingle on the tongue.

Guru

Sounds good. How much?
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    Sounds good. How much?
    I think it's in the $60-65 range at Spec's