Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: Balcones: Next stop, world domination?

Quote Originally Posted by Balcones Winston View Post
    Chip came into the office and handed me a sample ....
    I'm so jealous. To have a distiller of Chip's reputation just come in my office and hand me whiskey... Sigh.
    http://whiskeylist.blogspot.com/ downloadable spreadsheet of over 2000 North American Whiskies

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AGarrison View Post
    I'm so jealous. To have a distiller of Chip's reputation just come in my office and hand me whiskey... Sigh.
    Standard procedure when I show up to the distillery is one of us saying to the other "Hey, you gotta try this!"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    I'm not sure if you're trying to be intentially offensive or brutally honest here. Either way I'm sure Winston is happy to receive constructive criticism, but any posts deemed derogatory will be removed.
    I realize as a moderator you can put me in the penalty box, but I am calling BS here.

So, he never said anything bad about any person at Balcones..only the whiskey and the price. So does that mean we can't sarcastically criticize the product of a distiller that comes here to post? With the reputation of this board I am sure any distiller that dares to enter knows they have to have a thick skin. I am glad Winston is here, but if one wants to tell him that is whiskey is crap, one should be able to. When did this constructive criticism nonsense become a rule? You wanna go back and make all the Beam haters change their criticism of Beam so it is constructive?

BTW, this is what another moderator on this forum said of Garrison's Brothers bourbon:
    "Butterscotch are you kidding I was looking around for a cat to lick it's ass to get the taste out of my mouth."

Now that was as funny as hell, but it sure wasn't constructive criticism. I have no problem with it at all and I am sure Dan Garrison maybe did not like to read it, but I am sure he got over it quickly.

Taster

Agreed. No double standards. Nothing personal was directed at the gentlemen.

Yes the prices are to high, which is why I looked at the bottles yesterday and strolled on by without regret. But the comment about the spirit's age being "unconscionable" was full on horse assery. Can we please stop criticizing distilleries for having the cahones to bring a product to market before aging it for 19 years? Good lord...

Guru

Agreed, I believe there is a place for young Bourbon, the standard for straight is two years, being mindful that some of the finest Bourbon ever made was bottled as a fully mature product at 6 years of age.

Enthusiast

Sounds like bad_scientist is the only one who is offended

Anyway, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I think the point to take away from Cam is that there are different ways of expressing it, some of those ways might be received better than others.

PS: What is "dirty barley distillate" I have never encountered this in my life

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Agreed, I believe there is a place for young Bourbon, the standard for straight is two years, being mindful that some of the finest Bourbon ever made was bottled as a fully mature product at 6 years of age.
    We don't make bourbon

Enthusiast

We don't make bourbon
    You DO make Bourbon - just not regularly

And *I* am offended there's not more of it...

I know Chip & Winston well enough to not worry about their "delicate skin" - Chip is able to take just about anything you can throw at him about his spirits, and in most cases he can tell you EXACTLY what it is about the spirit that gives that impression - and in most cases it's intentional. He's got this saying: I want to create a Texas whisky tradition, not make traditional whiskey in Texas. He knows it's not for everybody - but given the scarcity of the products, it's clear plenty of people do like it!

I doubt anything Bad Scientist said did more than make them scratch their heads for a second or two...

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    You DO make Bourbon - just not regularly
    We made one barrel, I think that hardly qualifies

Enthusiast

We made one barrel, I think that hardly qualifies
    Technically, you DID make Bourbon. And we Vulcans are all about technicalities.