Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Balcones: Next stop, world domination?

Winston my post was about the ages of whsky on the market, not a reference to your group. While we're on the subject though let me add I don't think a whisky has to be labeled Bourbon or Straight to be a solid product.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Quote Originally Posted by weller_tex View Post
    I realize as a moderator you can put me in the penalty box, but I am calling BS here.

So, he never said anything bad about any person at Balcones..only the whiskey and the price. So does that mean we can't sarcastically criticize the product of a distiller that comes here to post? With the reputation of this board I am sure any distiller that dares to enter knows they have to have a thick skin. I am glad Winston is here, but if one wants to tell him that is whiskey is crap, one should be able to. When did this constructive criticism nonsense become a rule? You wanna go back and make all the Beam haters change their criticism of Beam so it is constructive?

BTW, this is what another moderator on this forum said of Garrison's Brothers bourbon:
    "Butterscotch are you kidding I was looking around for a cat to lick it's ass to get the taste out of my mouth."

Now that was as funny as hell, but it sure wasn't constructive criticism. I have no problem with it at all and I am sure Dan Garrison maybe did not like to read it, but I am sure he got over it quickly.
    Then maybe see my post as a timely reminder to play nice in your interactions with our industry members. We've lost far too many of them from this site because members thought it appropriate to point out every fault they (personally) perceived with a given business model, product, price or individual and I'd sure hate for us to lose another one.

I will also point out that regardless of intentions, questioning of a moderators intent in an open forum is not the best thing in the world to do. Whilst I have no personal problem with it this time, it has gotten members banned in the past. If there's ever any questions, ask in PM.
    Last edited by camduncan; 05-29-2013 at 17:22.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Winston my post was about the ages of whsky on the market, not a reference to your group. While we're on the subject though let me add I don't think a whisky has to be labeled Bourbon or Straight to be a solid product.
    Gotcha.

And you're definitely right. Straight or not, bourbon or not, good whisky is good whisky.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    Then maybe see my post as a timely reminder to play nice in your interactions with our industry members. We've lost far too many of them from this site because members thought it appropriate to point out every fault they (personally) perceived with a given business model, product, price or individual and I'd sure hate for us to lose another one.

I will also point out that regardless of intentions, questioning of a moderators intent in an open forum is not the best thing in the world to do. Whilst I have no personal problem with it this time, it has gotten members banned in the past. If there's ever any questions, ask in PM.
    OK then the owner or the moderators need to post a rule that we need to be especially nice to industry members..otherwise you are just being arbitrary. I replied to this in an open forum specifically because I felt this is something that needs to be in the open. If the owners of this board feel like that the posters need to play nice with industry reps then that needs to be stated as a rule.

Enthusiast

For the record, we have pretty thick skin at Balcones Besides, for every 1 person that makes a negative comment there are 20 more in line dying to buy a bottle

Enthusiast

Well, Winston was kind enough to share the forthcoming Balcones Bourbon with me.

Daaaaaammmmmnnnn. That stuff is good. I almost hate to bring it up, it's so limited. I know Chip Tate isn't about making "bourbon" - but when he puts his mind to something, it's hard to argue with the final product.

Maple syrup, brown sugar and huge vanilla notes. Just as you think it's going to be too sweet, some nice heavy spice and tannic notes blast your palate and the whole thing integrates into this rich, warm (almost smokey) swirl that just fills your whole mouth. There is some cinnamon here - but it's more oaky/vanilla than the typical True Blue is. I don't recall the age - at least 2 years, since I know it's "straight," but the flavor and integration belies the youth.

The finish holds those vanilla and brown sugar notes, while at the same time the spice from the alcohol (it's like 62%) really holds the flavors and experience throughout the finish. Just a nice warming.

I'm not going to say it tastes like "bourbon" per se - it's still essentially a corn whiskey... But it's as bourbony as you'd like, while not being what you'd expect from a bourbon (really, that's not intentionally doing double-speak there).

The blue corn is still the backbone here - and the sandalwood, slightly smokey and rich, almost woody "house profile" is all over this one, but it's a solid 5-star pour, even at the asking price (I think it's gonna be close to $100).

For people who only enjoy a "token" bourbon profile (Beam, Turkey, Woodford) and nothing too "out there" this may be a challenge - it's corny, there's not any rye or wheat to add those extra flavors to ponder. But if you enjoy some of the most well crafted distillate available, aged in some of the nicest barrels around, this will make you very, very happy.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    this will make you very, very happy.
    I pondered what this might go for on BX, then I realized I wouldn't sell it at any price haha

Virtuoso

Picked up the Single Malt today, and man it's got a kick. A good kick.

I'm not wise enough to give proper tasting notes, but will say it hits me like a mix of High West Campfire and Four Roses. To echo some of timd's earlier notes, not a scotch for sure, but reminds me of some of the other regional whisky products i've had like Mackmyra from Sweden.

I've now tried the Baby Blue and the Single Malt, and both seem perfect for tasting while grilling out. keep up the good work guys!

Connoisseur

I've had my interest piqued in Balcones for a while, and my local store has True Blue Cask Strength, Baby Blue, Brimstone, and Rumble, and all are priced at $60 (Baby Blue is $50). I'm most interested in the Single Malt, but I can't find it in NOLA.

I'm usually a try before I buy whiskey shopper, but if I threw caution to the wind and had to choose between these 4 options, would anyone care to recommend one?

Guru

Does Dave Martin's still give out samples?