Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Balcones: Next stop, world domination?

I attended the Balcones tasting in Dallas last week. Previously, I had purchased Rumble (interesting and good), True Blue (great), "1" Single Malt (fabulous) and had sampled Rumble Cask Reserve (great) and Brimstone (good, but I'm new to smokey whiskey) from a friend. I can tell you that Rumble has significantly improved since 4/2011 (my current bottle) and Brimstone was far better than my previous sample. The bourbon is fantastic and Resurrection may be the best thing I've tasted ever… I was extremely impressed! I'm hoping Winston delivers these special editions to Spec's in Dallas so I can get some!

Guru

Re: Balcones: Next stop, world domination?

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    80 percent barley, 15 malt, 5 oats
    Interesting. From what little I have found in the past it seems Irish single pot still whiskies run about 60/40 malted to unmalted barley (could be the reverse. Information is sparse and not always the most reliable of sources). Were you able to learn much about the ratio for present day pot still whiskey and how did that influence your choice of 80% unmalted barley, if at all?

I too am curious about the role the oats play. Is that ever used in Irish SPS whiskey as well?
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Interesting. From what little I have found in the past it seems Irish single pot still whiskies run about 60/40 malted to unmalted barley (could be the reverse. Information is sparse and not always the most reliable of sources). Were you able to learn much about the ratio for present day pot still whiskey and how did that influence your choice of 80% unmalted barley, if at all?

I too am curious about the role the oats play. Is that ever used in Irish SPS whiskey as well?
    I done a lot of reading, but irish used to be a lot heavier whiskey. With more unmalted barley, they even used rye at one point too. Oats where commonly used. The last of the oats went when the new middleton plant was built and that is when Irish whiskey got a lot lighter.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSpiritsGeek View Post
    As a matter of fact, I'll be there on Friday.
    Well then, definitely come by, just call and make an appointment first

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by bearmark View Post
    I attended the Balcones tasting in Dallas last week. Previously, I had purchased Rumble (interesting and good), True Blue (great), "1" Single Malt (fabulous) and had sampled Rumble Cask Reserve (great) and Brimstone (good, but I'm new to smokey whiskey) from a friend. I can tell you that Rumble has significantly improved since 4/2011 (my current bottle) and Brimstone was far better than my previous sample. The bourbon is fantastic and Resurrection may be the best thing I've tasted ever… I was extremely impressed! I'm hoping Winston delivers these special editions to Spec's in Dallas so I can get some!
    No promises... we'll only have a handful of cases for the entire state. Literally a handful (well depending on how big your hands are)

Enthusiast

That Brimstone Resurrection is amazing. Really one of the more unique spirits I've tried - and it's good, too. Quite enjoyable and a huge finish.

Now... if you don't like Smoke, and the "standard" Brimstone is a bit too much for you, then you probably should steer clear of Resurrection - it's a monster.

Enthusiast

Thanks for the mention, Chuck

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/201...p-whiskey.html

FWIW the lack of chill filtering, flavoring and coloring are quite important to us. It's a guarantee that you get whisky, the full whisky and nothing but the whisky.
    Last edited by Balcones Winston; 06-16-2013 at 12:28.

Enthusiast

New still construction is in progress! Going down tomorrow to shoot some videos of the new equipment

Guru

Please post them.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Please post them.
    I will. And I will post some pics in the next day or two.