Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Balcones: Next stop, world domination?

Usually, the lower marks are from added colorant, lower proof , poor make and inferior casks.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Usually, the lower marks are from added colorant, lower proof , poor make and inferior casks.
    I agree that the latter two points should affect the score - since they obviously affect taste. However, as much as I would prefer not to have them, added color* and lower proof don't necessarily detract from the taste experience.

* there are as a many "studies" that suggest e150a has, as doesn't have, an effect on taste. The malt maniacs have published "epistles" that have shown blind taste tests have proven inconclusive.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by theglobalguy View Post
    So i do have to ask, is the product availability state by state dictated by what the distributor wants to carry? Walked into 3 different shops near Nashville, TN to find AMPLE Texas Single Malt and the CS True Blue (both at a very reasonable $ i might add) yet my local shop in Louisville gave me the "all i can get is X" speech when i asked why no CS and apologized for being stocked out of the Texas Single Malt (silly me, was trying to be loyal and not buy everything while out of town).
    It has more to do with which states it is most popular in. Balcones is a pretty hot seller in KY.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by dreyna14 View Post
    New to the forum here and just had to post that I purchased my first bottle of Balcones Single Malt a few days ago. I picked it up off the shelf and while reading the label noticed that it was bottled on 6/18/13, my 35th Bday! In the cart it went. Now I'm just trying to decide whether to open this one or by another. Cheers.
    That's awesome! Enjoy it!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AGarrison View Post
    I havent been able to find Balcones here in Knoxville, but a friend is driving some back from Texas for me. I cant wait to see what Texas is doing with whiskey.
    We are only distributed in Nashville and Chattanooga, not Knoxville or Memphis yet. TN is kinda weird, the state is split into 4 separate markets so in theory we'd need 4 distributors just to cover one state!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AGarrison View Post
    Ralfy just published a vlog on Balcones, rating it an 88 grain whiskey mark. As usual he has a very entertaining presentation filled with interesting facts and opinions. I'm getting more excited about trying it myself next week. Worth a listen if you are interested at all in Balcones: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO0-1mLIR9U

He is using a really old bottling in the video... don't know where he got a hold of that. We plan on sending him one of the newer batches, along with some Brimstone since he seems so curious.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    I agree that the latter two points should affect the score - since they obviously affect taste. However, as much as I would prefer not to have them, added color* and lower proof don't necessarily detract from the taste experience.

* there are as a many "studies" that suggest e150a has, as doesn't have, an effect on taste. The malt maniacs have published "epistles" that have shown blind taste tests have proven inconclusive.
    Even if there's no effect in taste, artificial coloring isn't something I want in anything I consume

Guru

Had some of the single malt last night. Had some sorghum moonshine, too. Amazing how similar the nose on the two was. This isn't meant as a bad thing, btw. That was some damned fine shine!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post

I think the color issue is that it is artificially added and some say they do detect its influence. Others, myself included, feel that higher proof can bring more flavor, though it is a balancing act. It just comes down to personal experience and individual taste.

I will be looking for Balcones next.

Just some addl info off subject: http://whiskyscience.blogspot.com/20...amel-e150.html

"..So, caramel does affect the flavour and it is not inert in whisky, but are the quantities used in Scotch whisky industry enough to affect the overall flavour significantly? No reliable scientific fact exists, but my guess is that they probably are significant. Does caramel impair the flavour? It could, but then again in some cases caramel might even improve the taste."

Any suggestion on which Balcones to start off with?
    Last edited by Jono; 09-08-2013 at 13:37.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Balcones Winston View Post
    Even if there's no effect in taste, artificial coloring isn't something I want in anything I consume
    I suppose you don't consume any softdrinks and you grow ALL the food you eat ...

I'm not a chemist - though I play one on the internet - but I believe e150a (the stuff used to add color to alcohol) is considered natural not artificial.
    Last edited by portwood; 09-08-2013 at 13:47.