Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Balcones: Next stop, world domination?

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    He had an interesting question. Do these tiny distilleries really have enough output to support distribution to Australia?
    The more likely answer is that when they can't find enough locals to buy into the story (due to high price and/or poor quality) they need to find other markets to survive. Sometimes they can find people with tastes that match their product or simply greater fools than the locals.

Every entrepreneur believes what they have for sale is the greatest. When they can't find people close to home that agree, they will try to find them elsewhere. On very rare occasions what they have is actually good and it takes someone far away to buy it before the locals "get it"*.

*an example of this is Forty Creek. Few in Canada (Ontario) cared for the stuff so they exported to Texas where it became popular. After a while Canadians caught on and they are now the darlings of Canadian whisky. (I've tried a few and still don't "get it" )
    Last edited by portwood; 09-11-2013 at 05:31.

Guru

Selling overseas is how KBD got established so the plan works.

Speaking of brands, Cutty Sark was developed specifically for the American market and that worked out pretty well.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

You can see them listed here at one of our specialty stores:

http://www.nicks.com.au/Product/Search?q=balcones

I'm not sure how the prices compare to the US, but it'll be interesting to watch and see if they get a following here. Personally, I can see myself buying a bottle of Baby Blue as a Christmas gift to myself, but that's the exception as I generally don't spend over $100 on something without tasting it first.... Others mileage may vary

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    You can see them listed here at one of our specialty stores:

http://www.nicks.com.au/Product/Search?q=balcones

I'm not sure how the prices compare to the US, but it'll be interesting to watch and see if they get a following here. Personally, I can see myself buying a bottle of Baby Blue as a Christmas gift to myself, but that's the exception as I generally don't spend over $100 on something without tasting it first.... Others mileage may vary
    Looks like 2.5-3x US pricing. Though wandering that website, that seems to be the normal price delta from here to there.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Quote Originally Posted by theglobalguy View Post
    Looks like 2.5-3x US pricing. Though wandering that website, that seems to be the normal price delta from here to there.
    Yeah, unfortunately these guys pretty much go it alone from a single retail outlet. Stock availability aside, if a big multi-national like Dan Murphys or 1st Choice picked them up, they'd be bringing in container loads for national distribution (instead of a case or two for one store) and could probably drive the price down somewhat.

Advanced Taster

Ralfy just had some nice things to say about Baby Blue in Review 390 (2/2). He's been complimentary on the Balcones website pointing it out as a standard for others more then once. A foothold in a Manx bothy one step closer to world domination!

Ted
    In Society that Outlaws Adventure the Only Adventure is to Outlaw that Society

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Back to World Domination.

A friend of mine in Australia was surprised a few days ago. First he got the big Craft Whiskey issue of Whisky Advocate. Then he went to a whiskey show where Balcones, Koval, Few, and High West were exhibiting.

He had an interesting question. Do these tiny distilleries really have enough output to support distribution to Australia?
    One thing to note is that we shipped our order to Australia before the demand for our products shot through the roof (roughly 8 months ago). On top of that, it was a small order, and I don't believe we'll be sending more to Oz for a while.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by theglobalguy View Post
    On that note, is it about pride/ego/prestige that causes these guys to spread so wide and far? I remember reading about Stranahans pulling back to CO and thinking "thank you, i'd rather your loyal customers get enough than everyone get pissed off".

My local shop has been stocked out of Balcones Texas Single Malt for months. No word on when they'll re-stock. And here i am buying other brands rather than waiting (think that's what they call a zero sum game).
    Continuing with the previous post, we set up our current distribution footprint before Balcones became so highly sought after. We were expanding at a relatively good pace for our production up until then, can't say we expected to get so popular so fast. Thankfully, with the new equipment we're installing at our current facility, and the new distillery now under construction, it won't be like this forever. We are truly sorry that we can't supply everyone at once, just an unfortunate (yet temporary) drawback to all the press and awards we've received.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    I live a few hours hours away from Balcones and several of their products are missing from them shelf here, so my answer is no. It's almost a self fulfilling prophecy; our products are so hard too find they must be great. Great marketing; it's worked wonders for Van Winkle.
    It's not marketing Wade, it's just the inevitable result of being so small yet so in demand so fast. Our production capacity is vastly limited by the size of our distillery and equipment. Our commitment to quality also impedes the flow of product as we won't release a whisky that isn't just as good or better than the previous batch.

The silver lining here though is that thanks to all the amazing attention we've gotten around the world, we were able to secure new partners in the company who are funding the construction of our new facility, which means that one day we'll be able supply all of our current markets very well, along with the rest of the planet.

Keep in mind that our output is to Van Winkle as Van Winkle is to Jim Beam. We really just don't have the equipment or enough hours in the day to make any more than we already do.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Selling overseas is how KBD got established so the plan works.
    I think this is a good example of why it is important to branch out - especially to the tastemaker markets. London, Chicago, San Francisco, NYC, etc are all very important if you want to establish yourself as a global force rather than a small local brand. We have big dreams for Balcones that are finally starting to come true, and I don't think we could have done it were it not for our expansion outside of the state.

Not to say Texas isn't an important market to us, because it is one of our top priorities. Demand here is stronger than ever, it's basically an insatiable market at this point.