Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Balcones: Next stop, world domination?

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    The more likely answer is that when they can't find enough locals to buy into the story (due to high price and/or poor quality) they need to find other markets to survive. Sometimes they can find people with tastes that match their product or simply greater fools than the locals.
    Expanding to other markets is partially about survival, especially when you're just starting out. But if you want to grow, it's also a necessary step. We never planned to be small forever, and thankfully our plans are finally in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    Every entrepreneur believes what they have for sale is the greatest. When they can't find people close to home that agree, they will try to find them elsewhere. On very rare occasions what they have is actually good and it takes someone far away to buy it before the locals "get it"*.
    I think we're a bit more modest than that We did take a while to catch on in Texas, but that was mostly due to the fact that people simply didn't know we existed. We didn't advertise, we relied on word of mouth, awards and press to propel ourselves into the position we're in now.

Guru

I think the made in Texas image has a certain level of appeal overseas. Even the Germans can pronounce J.R. Ewing.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

I was surprised to see Balcones available in many shops in Edinburgh the last couple weeks. True Blue 100, Brimstone, and Baby Blue were stocked in at least 5 shops.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Balcones Winston View Post
    Continuing with the previous post, we set up our current distribution footprint before Balcones became so highly sought after. We were expanding at a relatively good pace for our production up until then, can't say we expected to get so popular so fast. Thankfully, with the new equipment we're installing at our current facility, and the new distillery now under construction, it won't be like this forever. We are truly sorry that we can't supply everyone at once, just an unfortunate (yet temporary) drawback to all the press and awards we've received.
    As usual, i appreciate your candor. I just hate buying 3 hours away from home and not supporting my local shop wherever possible, or jumping on to another brand out of frustration.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I think the made in Texas image has a certain level of appeal overseas. Even the Germans can pronounce J.R. Ewing.
    I just imagined JR Ewing being shouted at by Colonel Klink, thanks for the laugh

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by theglobalguy View Post
    As usual, i appreciate your candor. I just hate buying 3 hours away from home and not supporting my local shop wherever possible, or jumping on to another brand out of frustration.
    I understand your frustration. I know this isn't the ideal solution, but if you really want to get your hands on a bottle, you can search for a retailer that ships to you via www.1000corks.com

Guru

I will be picking up a bottle of Baby Blue tomorrow, hopefully, if the order comes in.
    This will be my first experience with the Balcones line.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I will be picking up a bottle of Baby Blue tomorrow, hopefully, if the order comes in.
    This will be my first experience with the Balcones line.
    Enjoy it! Baby Blue is my best friend's favorite of the line

Enthusiast

So I don't have to start a new thread, I will just mention here that we were recently named Whisky Magazine's 2014 Icons of Whisky – Craft Whisky Distillery of the Year.

This is actually the second time we gotten the award in the three years it has been running…

Disciple

Congratulations! From the bottles I've purchased well deserved.