Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Balcones: Next stop, world domination?

Quote Originally Posted by Balcones Winston View Post
    Lol I've never even heard of that. But it was before I started with the distillery...
    I think that was around the same time he did the True Blue bottling (that I have the scraps from) for LA - he did a couple of regional things back in early 2012, IIRC.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    I think that was around the same time he did the True Blue bottling (that I have the scraps from) for LA - he did a couple of regional things back in early 2012, IIRC.
    What was the barrel # for the California bottling again?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Didn't know it was quite so uncommon. I picked up one about a month ago but it was marked as the "ATL Edition" and dated from May 2012. Have been meaning to give it a try but haven't done so yet. Perhaps there will be a good occasion coming up soon in early November...

Attachment 16706Attachment 16707
    Reservations made! Look forward to seeing you guys again.
    Jon

Enthusiast

What was the barrel # for the California bottling again?
    It was 1459, I believe.

Enthusiast

Are we still in the "Special Olympics" now?

Balcones’ First Bourbon Sweeps New York World Wine & Spirits Competition with Best in Show Win

2 Gold, 5 Double Gold and 3 Category Best in Show Wins to Boot

October 18, 2013 Waco, Texas – Trail-blazing Balcones Distillery received top honors for a second time in three years with its 5th Anniversary Texas Straight Bourbon being awarded the Sweepstakes Best in Show for all brown spirits at the 2013 New York World Wine & Spirits Competition. On top of this monumental accolade, Balcones Bourbon was also given the title of Best Bourbon in Show and awarded a Double Gold medal. Balcones entered seven spirits into the competition, with all seven returning Double Gold or Gold medals. True Blue 100, the newest product in Balcones’ core range, clutched Best Corn Whiskey in Show while the distillery’s unreleased Texas Rum was recognized as the Best Dark/Gold Rum in Show.

The famed Texan craft distillery won awards across its portfolio, which included five Double Gold and two Gold medals, with three entries named Best in Show for their category. The Balcones awards were named as follows:

• Balcones 5th Anniversary Texas Straight Bourbon
      Sweepstakes - Best in Show - Brown Spirits, Best Bourbon in Show, Double Gold
    • Balcones Texas Rum Special Release
      Best Dark/Gold Rum in Show, Double Gold
    • Balcones True Blue 100
      Best Corn Whiskey in Show, Double Gold
    • Balcones Brimstone Resurrection
      Double Gold
    • Balcones Crooked Bourbon
      Double Gold
    • Balcones Texas ‘1’ Single Malt
      Gold
    • Balcones Texas Rum
      Gold

Michael Bondra, Brand Manager for the New York World Wine and Spirits Competition said: "We are thrilled and amazed at how far Balcones has come in such a short time. From winning Best of Show in our first competition to this year’s unprecedented seven entries (winning) five Double Gold, two Gold and a 2nd Best In Show Award. They have a rare ability to continually bring award winning products to the market place year after year."

Chip Tate, Balcones' President and Head Distiller said: “We are beyond thrilled to have a second whisky in our portfolio named Best in Show for Brown Spirits as well as having all seven of our entries take a Gold medal to boot. Balcones has reached new heights with this prestigious win and we are very proud to have been a part of this year’s New York World Wine & Spirits Competition."

The New York World Wine and Spirits Competition is one of the largest trade events for the food and beverage industry for 12 years running and has attracted thousands of professionals from restaurants, bars and clubs, food and beverage buyers and professionals from throughout the United States and the world. Judges represent all sectors of the Industry and include USBG mixologists, educators, beverage directors, journalists, authors, sommeliers, chefs and bar and restaurant owners.

Enthusiast

Are we still in the "Special Olympics" now?

Congrats - that's a huge score... Glad to have tried them all.

Although, I'm surprised that Texas 1 "only" got a gold... must've been those damn scotch snobs.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    Congrats - that's a huge score... Glad to have tried them all.

Although, I'm surprised that Texas 1 "only" got a gold... must've been those damn scotch snobs.
    The funny part is that the Single Malt was the 2011 winner of the Sweepstakes Best In Show for Brown Spirits.

Guru

I dunno. Is this one of those events where everyone gets a ribbon? How do the particulars of this one work? I've honestly no clue.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    I dunno. Is this one of those events where everyone gets a ribbon? How do the particulars of this one work? I've honestly no clue.
    There's only one Best in Show for Brown Spirits award given out.

Guru

Well awesome then and congratulations!