Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Balcones: Next stop, world domination?

Some semantics in play here - artificial in this case meant it was added to the product and is not from the product of distillation and aging.
    I suppose saying it is a natural additive may be more accurate but without a real difference.

adjective: artificial
    made or produced by human beings rather than occurring naturally, typically as a copy of something natural.

"E150a (plain caramel) is "prepared by the controlled heat treatment of carbohydrates (commercially available food grade nutritive sweeteners which are the monomers glucose and fructose and/or polymers thereof, e.g., glucose syrups, sucrose, and/or invert syrups, and dextrose). To promote caramelization, acids, alkalis and salts may be employed"

Anyway, what is a recommended Balcones line up?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    adjective: artificial
    made or produced by human beings rather than occurring naturally, typically as a copy of something natural.
    You mean, like whiskey, including Balcones?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    You mean, like whiskey, including Balcones?
    That is why I said artificial in this case meant it was added to the product and that "natural additive" would be more accurate but beside the point. Adding anything to enhance bourbon is forbidden. Scotch does not need colorant. Adding sugar and natural flavors, etc. would be "natural" too but I don't think anyone is advocating that.

"Caramel (the flavouring E150, not actual caramel made from burnt sugar) is added in order to make the whisky look darker and therefore give the perception that the whisky may be older than it is (and in the consumers eyes, be better than it is!)."
    http://whiskyforeveryone.blogspot.co...in-whisky.html
    Last edited by Jono; 09-08-2013 at 14:05.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Balcones Winston View Post
    He is using a really old bottling in the video... don't know where he got a hold of that. We plan on sending him one of the newer batches, along with some Brimstone since he seems so curious.
    IMHO, reviewers should only buy products off the shelf that way we know they are not getting honey bottles made for reviewers only.

I recently saw several bottles of Baby Blue on the shelf that must have been from 1st release - the color was way lighter than current product.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    IMHO, reviewers should only buy products off the shelf that way we know they are not getting honey bottles made for reviewers only.
    That's one of the reasons to like Ralfy - he buys everything he reviews! (he does acknowledge getting some money from banner ads on his site and does trade for stuff. For example: a bottle of Still Waters Canadian single malt he reviewed recently was given to him by the distillery during a visit but he gave the distiller a bottle of scotch he brought with him from Scotland. Regardless what he gave, the distiller got the better of the deal, LOL, the stuff isn't very good, though Ralfy gave it an 81)
    Last edited by portwood; 09-08-2013 at 19:14.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    I suppose you don't consume any softdrinks and you grow ALL the food you eat ...

I'm not a chemist - though I play one on the internet - but I believe e150a (the stuff used to add color to alcohol) is considered natural not artificial.
    Anything that adds color to whiskey that isn't a barrel is artificial, whether or not it's definitively "natural"

And no, I don't drink soda, and I stay away from processed foods as much as possible. Granted, that's not always possible, but I do make an effort to eat fresh food when I can

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post

I recently saw several bottles of Baby Blue on the shelf that must have been from 1st release - the color was way lighter than current product.
    We don't send anything but "shelf" releases to reviewers. As would be the case with Ralfy. (the sort of exception is regarding the rarer single cask releases, but they are labeled as such)

Btw, you can easily tell the old bottles because a) they have a different label b) the neck is thinner on the bottle (for Baby Blue at least)
    Last edited by Balcones Winston; 09-08-2013 at 22:04.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Back to World Domination.

A friend of mine in Australia was surprised a few days ago. First he got the big Craft Whiskey issue of Whisky Advocate. Then he went to a whiskey show where Balcones, Koval, Few, and High West were exhibiting.

He had an interesting question. Do these tiny distilleries really have enough output to support distribution to Australia?

Virtuoso

On that note, is it about pride/ego/prestige that causes these guys to spread so wide and far? I remember reading about Stranahans pulling back to CO and thinking "thank you, i'd rather your loyal customers get enough than everyone get pissed off".

My local shop has been stocked out of Balcones Texas Single Malt for months. No word on when they'll re-stock. And here i am buying other brands rather than waiting (think that's what they call a zero sum game).

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Back to World Domination.

A friend of mine in Australia was surprised a few days ago. First he got the big Craft Whiskey issue of Whisky Advocate. Then he went to a whiskey show where Balcones, Koval, Few, and High West were exhibiting.

He had an interesting question. Do these tiny distilleries really have enough output to support distribution to Australia?
    I live a few hours hours away from Balcones and several of their products are missing from them shelf here, so my answer is no. It's almost a self fulfilling prophecy; our products are so hard too find they must be great. Great marketing; it's worked wonders for Van Winkle.