Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: Balcones: Next stop, world domination?

I went to Go Whisk(e)y Weekend in Westborough and got to bend Chip's ear and then taste everything he brought. Went home with True Blue and Brimstone. Hadn't opened either one since then, and thought I should rectify that. Cracked into the Brimstone last night, just as good as I remember, and as good as my initial notes indicate. Balcones is doing things right. Really wanting to try the Rumble Cask Reserve, hoping they get some in at Julio's.

Connoisseur

Balcones: Next stop, world domination?

The RCR is very nice. Such a unique and interesting pour. One that everyone should try. Blindfolded, I swear I'd peg it as a whiskey. You can definitely pick up the fig and honey notes but they're subtle. It really opens up with some air time too and changes. An enjoyable, easy sipping pour.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364997842.315879.jpg
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    The RCR is very nice. Such a unique and interesting pour. One that everyone should try. Blindfolded, I swear I'd peg it as a whiskey. You can definitely pick up the fig and honey notes but they're subtle. It really opens up with some air time too and changes. An enjoyable, easy sipping pour.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364997842.315879.jpg
    That would be a striking improvement from the regular Rumble which I have and did not enjoy very much. I would be reluctant to try RCR, which is no doubt even more expensive (another $20 on top of the already spendy regular Rumble I think), based on that experience.

I would however happily try it out if someone else were to offer a taste...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

I'll have to give some of their products another shot - hope they are represented at a tasting opportunity in late April (or at some other point). I've only tried the Brimstone once and didn't care for it, although it was not a studied taste by any stretch (believe it was a gazebo taste last September?) Reading about them in Whisky Advocate as well as the comments here have me curious again
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Balcones: Next stop, world domination?

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    I'll have to give some of their products another shot - hope they are represented at a tasting opportunity in late April (or at some other point). I've only tried the Brimstone once and didn't care for it, although it was not a studied taste by any stretch (believe it was a gazebo taste last September?) Reading about them in Whisky Advocate as well as the comments here have me curious again
    I've said it here before and numerous times elsewhere, Brimstone is a VERY polarizing whiskey. You either love it or hate it. But there is NOTHING like it on shelves anywhere. I personally love it. It's got this mesquite, BBQ, smoke thing going on that I dig. I get lots of bacon bits as well. Mmmmm.

Regardless, it is an outlier for Balcones. None of their other products taste anything like it.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

Enthusiast

It's got this mesquite, BBQ, smoke thing going on that I dig. I get lots of bacon bits as well. Mmmmm.
    From the guy who doesn't eat bacon, no less!

I can't think of a higher quality distillate going in to barrels anywhere. They may not have the age that the "big boys" have on their bottom shelf offerings, but somehow Chip has managed to create top-shelf stuff in an amazingly short time.

I can't wait for the Bourbon to come out - I had a sample of the barrel 1613 it came from a while back, and it was exceptional. I recently got to try a little of the bourbon, and with an additional year's aging and some unprecedented wood management, it is going to blow people away (if you can get it...).

Keep an eye out for all the Balcones 5th anniversary stuff - Brimstone, Rumble, etc. - everything they've selected for a special release is truly... special.

Meanwhile, I think I need to go pour a glass of the liquid bacon and smoked corn treat that is Brimstone!

Guru

I have a very high threshold of being "blown away" and I don't think another year of unprecedented wood management will do the trick.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I have a very high threshold of being "blown away" and I don't think another year of unprecedented wood management will do the trick.
    You've had a sample of the 1613 (It was never sold, I just got to try it at the distillery)?... It was already outstanding a year ago, IMHO.

It's a Bourbon - not True/Baby Blue Corn Whiskey.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    I can't wait for the Bourbon to come out - I had a sample of the barrel 1613 it came from a while back, and it was exceptional. I recently got to try a little of the bourbon, and with an additional year's aging and some unprecedented wood management, it is going to blow people away (if you can get it...).
    Child please, 1 barrel of bourbon made with good % of that going to reviewers. Let me know when Balcones has real production run of bourbon.

Advanced Taster

I've said it here before and numerous times elsewhere, Brimstone is a VERY polarizing whiskey. You either love it or hate it. But there is NOTHING like it on shelves anywhere. I personally love it. It's got this mesquite, BBQ, smoke thing going on that I dig. I get lots of bacon bits as well. Mmmmm.

Regardless, it is an outlier for Balcones. None of their other products taste anything like it.
    i've said the exact same thing you have elsewhere in the forum, so i won't be redundant. but i really like brimstone as well. it's not something that's an everyday pour for me, but it's become something that i'll want when the mood strikes so it will always be around.
    "We're still here. Scarred but here. But then again, we were invincible then."