Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Balcones: Next stop, world domination?

NOT THE RUMBLE.

I've enjoyed everything else of theirs I've tried. Of those I'd go for the True Blue CS. My fave is the single malt, however.

Guru

Balcones: Next stop, world domination?

Definitely scratch the Brimstone off your list - that's a polarizing expression and would be a good one to try before buying.

I can't say I like any of them and I've tried them all except the Rumble... That said, I'll probably give it a go again to see if my palate's more amenable to the Balcones profile now.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by theglobalguy View Post
    Picked up the Single Malt today, and man it's got a kick. A good kick.

I'm not wise enough to give proper tasting notes, but will say it hits me like a mix of High West Campfire and Four Roses. To echo some of timd's earlier notes, not a scotch for sure, but reminds me of some of the other regional whisky products i've had like Mackmyra from Sweden.

I've now tried the Baby Blue and the Single Malt, and both seem perfect for tasting while grilling out. keep up the good work guys!
    Glad you are enjoying it. Next stop: True Blue!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    I've had my interest piqued in Balcones for a while, and my local store has True Blue Cask Strength, Baby Blue, Brimstone, and Rumble, and all are priced at $60 (Baby Blue is $50). I'm most interested in the Single Malt, but I can't find it in NOLA.

I'm usually a try before I buy whiskey shopper, but if I threw caution to the wind and had to choose between these 4 options, would anyone care to recommend one?
    Rumble for $60? Wow. That's a bit up there. Is it the regular 94pr or the Cask Reserve?

I'd recommend the True Blue. As a bourbon drinker (safe to assume you are, right? lol) I think that will be closest to what you're looking for in a whisky.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Does Dave Martin's still give out samples?
    Are you referring to Martin Wine Cellar? They will let you try anything if they have an open bottle, which is usually a decent selection. I actually attribute my early whiskey education to a particularly generous employee that used to work at the Uptown store that would let me try ANYTHING back around 2004. I haven't seen Balcones there, though.

Connoisseur

Thanks for the responses! I'm going to try the True Blue Cask Strength and the Brimstone.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Definitely scratch the Brimstone off your list - that's a polarizing expression and would be a good one to try before buying.

I can't say I like any of them and I've tried them all except the Rumble... That said, I'll probably give it a go again to see if my palate's more amenable to the Balcones profile now.
    We're constantly working to improve the quality of our products. We blind taste each new batch against the previous one to make sure it's better than the last! If you're game, give a more recent batch a try and see if it's more to your liking. You might be surprised

Guru

Showing my age Trey, we called it Dave Martin's back in the old days. I went there with my Dad in the 60's when Mr. Dave was still running the place.

Connoisseur

Hmm...I checked the bottling dates on the stuff on the shelf and it was all from 2011. The Rumble was $50, btw. Anyway, I am going to try another place in town that opened last summer to try to get a newer bottle considering the batch variation.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Balcones Winston View Post
    We're constantly working to improve the quality of our products. We blind taste each new batch against the previous one to make sure it's better than the last! If you're game, give a more recent batch a try and see if it's more to your liking. You might be surprised
    That's some great marketing strategy. Hey we know you thought that $45 bottle whiskey was bad, but trust us and buy a bottle again - it's great now. Do you stand behind that with a moneyback guarantee?