Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

Some tantalizing Irish Whiskey news

Binny's Whiskey Hotline email letter indicates:

"Watch for a expansion of single pot distilled Irish whiskies making their way to the shores of the new land. If recent releases such as the stunning Midleton Barry Crockett and the entire Redbreast lineup are any indication, the future is bright."

The market demand (opportunity) is finally being addressed.

Guru

Re: Some tantalizing Irish Whiskey news

One of the stunning things about the Crockett Legacy was the price of course. Too much, for the moment, for me even though I would love to get one. But Green Spot and Powers John's Lane have been rumored to be on their way across the pond in 2013 for some time. Don't know if Yellow Spot will follow (although as noted in the comments section of a post by Sku it can already be found here, apparently as a special bottling).

Writers Tears is another I have read about but not tried yet. Not in the US either at the moment as far as I know. It is reportedly a blend of single malt and pot still whiskey put out be the same group that bottles the relatively new (at least to me) Irishman whiskies.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

If they come in with "super premium" prices they will remain the unknown exotics. I had never heard of either Yellow Spot or Writers Tears.

Writers Tears comes across as a "Compass Box" like effort for Irish whiskey.
    http://www.liquidirish.com/2010/09/writers-tears.html

http://blog.thewhiskyexchange.com/20...y-yellow-spot/

I would like to see Irish whiskeys at higher proofs though the Yellow spot comes in at 46% which is good.

Enthusiast

Love Redbreast, can't wait for more pot still Irish in the states. Just please make it up to the PacNW... things take so long to get here

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    If they come in with "super premium" prices they will remain the unknown exotics. I had never heard of either Yellow Spot or Writers Tears.

Writers Tears comes across as a "Compass Box" like effort for Irish whiskey.
    http://www.liquidirish.com/2010/09/writers-tears.html

http://blog.thewhiskyexchange.com/20...y-yellow-spot/

I would like to see Irish whiskeys at higher proofs though the Yellow spot comes in at 46% which is good.
    Always a guess as to what the price will end up being. Comparing the British cost (minus VAT) to Redbreast here in the US it comes out pretty accurately at around $50-$55 (Although the price of Redbreast seems to be moving up of late. May depend on if the store has older stock or not).

The Barry Crockett Legacy doesn't hold true though as it is $30-40 more than the expected cost of around $190 ($225 and up here in the States that I have found).

Green Spot would likely end up at around the $50 mark using the same comparison as Redbreast for a NAS younger whiskey that is about 8 years old compared to the Redbreast at 12 years (Both are 80 proof).

Powers John's Lane (12 yo 92 proof) is more likely to be in the $60 range and Yellow Spot, should it be imported, would likely be at least $80 for the same age and proof.

But if they follow the Crockett Legacy model though they could be a lot more costly.

For higher proof there is already the Redbreast 12 Cask Strength weighing in at 115.4 proof.

The Irishman also had a cask strength option but it is rare and costs over $100.

Indeed the Irishman 70 or "original clan" is an interesting whiskey. It doesn't use grain whiskey but rather has a version that is 70% single malt and 30% single pot still (similar to the Writers Tears which comes from the same company but Writers Tears reportedly has a higher pot still component. And a higher cost...). They also have a 100% single malt whiskey. Personally I like that added pot still and it costs less than the single malt to boot! Probably under $30 if you can find it. It is 80 proof but a decent tasting whiskey.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Enthusiast

I got to try a pot still flight at the Jameson distillery today. Red Breast 12, green spot, Powers John Lane, and a Middleton but I forget which edition. Anyway, powers John lane was my easy favorite. Nice coconut nose and richer earthy taste than the others. I look forward to that coming to the states. For reference it was $56 euro.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    years (Both are 80 proof). Indeed the Irishman 70 or "original clan" is an interesting whiskey. It doesn't use grain whiskey but rather has a version that is 70% single malt and 30% single pot still (similar to the Writers Tears which comes from the same company but Writers Tears reportedly has a higher pot still component. And a higher cost...). They also have a 100% single malt whiskey. Personally I like that added pot still and it costs less than the single malt to boot! Probably under $30 if you can find it. It is 80 proof but a decent tasting whiskey.
    I've really enjoyed both and they are priced at $25 and $40 here in Chicago. Good value either way and a nice change of pace.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Disciple

I wish Jameson would send some Crested Ten to the states. I also recently saw a duty free only bottling of Tullamore 12 available only in Germany. It is aged in sherry casks. The company building the equipment for the expansion in my shop is from Germany and approx. 20 German engineers working on the project go back home tommorrow for Christmas. One already reserved me a bottle at duty free for there return flight here on Jan. 7th. Merry Christmas to me!

Thomas

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    I wish Jameson would send some Crested Ten to the states. I also recently saw a duty free only bottling of Tullamore 12 available only in Germany. It is aged in sherry casks. The company building the equipment for the expansion in my shop is from Germany and approx. 20 German engineers working on the project go back home tommorrow for Christmas. One already reserved me a bottle at duty free for there return flight here on Jan. 7th. Merry Christmas to me!

Thomas
    Will be interested to hear what you think. The few reviews I have seen seem to be that people either love or hate the whiskey. Not much middle ground.

I generally like the Bushmills single malts which this uses as a base. There is a single malt Caribbean rum cask Bushmills I would love to be able to try that came out a few years ago.

Apprentice

Some tantalizing Irish Whiskey news

Red Breast 12 just took a $15 price jump at the store I work at (from $48 to $63). We heard a price hike was coming, but never expected that much. We're continuing to carry the product for now, but if sales plummet we'll probably drop it. Too bad, it's good stuff.