Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Apprentice

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

I had a bottle of this at a bar yesterday (my cousin works there, so we stopped by to pay him the patronage)...they only had flavored bourbon liquor type stuff (Red Stag, etc.) and Jack Daniels.

I wasn't particularly bourbon-y, it seemed a pretty standard moderately high hop, bitter ale.

Not bad, but I'm not sure I would have ordered another had we hung around longer. They had far better on tap available, but wanted to give it a go.

Anyone else try this?

Guru

Re: Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

Quote Originally Posted by PozzSka View Post
    I had a bottle of this at a bar yesterday (my cousin works there, so we stopped by to pay him the patronage)...they only had flavored bourbon liquor type stuff (Red Stag, etc.) and Jack Daniels.

I wasn't particularly bourbon-y, it seemed a pretty standard moderately high hop, bitter ale.

Not bad, but I'm not sure I would have ordered another had we hung around longer. They had far better on tap available, but wanted to give it a go.

Anyone else try this?
    Discussion of the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout came up recently. Not sure about the Ale. Thouht I had the stout but turns out I have a 4 pack of the ale I was given as a gift. Haven't tried it yet though.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Generally speaking, Alltech anything just ain't that great.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Generally speaking, Alltech anything just ain't that great.
    Gotta agree. Nothing over the top and way too many other bourbon finished brews out there that makes it easy to pass on Alltech KBBA.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

The Voshole

Quote Originally Posted by HP12 View Post
    Gotta agree. Nothing over the top and way too many other bourbon finished brews out there that makes it easy to pass on Alltech KBBA.
    I like KBBA but I haven't had any of the other beers finished in bourbon barrels. Suggestions?
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Vosgar View Post
    I like KBBA but I haven't had any of the other beers finished in bourbon barrels. Suggestions?

I thought the KBBA was terrible, but I really liked Rocky's Revenge by Tyranena Brewing.

Enthusiast

We had some at a restaurant in Lexington last July, and it was fantastic.
    Bought 2 sixes at a liquor store to take home, and the bottles were just ho-hum.

Must have been the ambiance.

Enthusiast

Vosgar the best one to me is Founder's Backwoods Bastard. Only release in limited quantities in the fall.

Are you sure you bought the same beer? Kentucky Ale/Alltech's bourbon barrel ale is only offered in 4 packs. Schlafly has a bourbon barrel ale that is similar and offered in 6 packs.

Advanced Taster

Some bars will also have the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale on tap. In Cambridge, MA - Mead Hall has 100 beers on tap, with the correct glasses for each type of beer, and they'll usually have 2 or 3 bourbon barrel finished beers on offer, in addition a very good Whiskey selection including reasonably priced Vintage 17yo. Plus their Pork Rinds are awesome. (my office is in the same building as theirs so I'm there entirely too often). I find I love the sweetness that barrel aging gives to an ale. Super tasty and very quaffable. Heavy Seas makes several barrel-aged beers that are usually worth trying. They change every year.