Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apprentice

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

I had a bottle of this at a bar yesterday (my cousin works there, so we stopped by to pay him the patronage)...they only had flavored bourbon liquor type stuff (Red Stag, etc.) and Jack Daniels.

I wasn't particularly bourbon-y, it seemed a pretty standard moderately high hop, bitter ale.

Not bad, but I'm not sure I would have ordered another had we hung around longer. They had far better on tap available, but wanted to give it a go.

Anyone else try this?

Guru

Re: Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

Quote Originally Posted by PozzSka View Post
    I had a bottle of this at a bar yesterday (my cousin works there, so we stopped by to pay him the patronage)...they only had flavored bourbon liquor type stuff (Red Stag, etc.) and Jack Daniels.

I wasn't particularly bourbon-y, it seemed a pretty standard moderately high hop, bitter ale.

Not bad, but I'm not sure I would have ordered another had we hung around longer. They had far better on tap available, but wanted to give it a go.

Anyone else try this?
    Discussion of the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout came up recently. Not sure about the Ale. Thouht I had the stout but turns out I have a 4 pack of the ale I was given as a gift. Haven't tried it yet though.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Generally speaking, Alltech anything just ain't that great.

Connoisseur

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

I have to disagree with the trend of thread. I like the bourbon barrel ale. I think alltech does beer pretty well. The whiskey was questionable whenI tried it but pretty sure it was sourced whiskey at the time. It sounds like those that have tasted it recently think it is going in the right direction. <smack myself, back on topic> I am looking forward to trying the stout that recently came out.

Mike

Guru

I don't find their beer to be offensively bad or anything. Just pretty generic and uninspiring, really. We have two lil breweries in Lex alone that just blow them out of the water. Not to mention the great ones in Louisville and other parts of the state, too. Just not to my taste, I suppose.

Advanced Taster

I really like the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. I can't buy it in Michigan. When I have it and share it with friends, everyone really likes it.

I got a ticket yesterday to purchase Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout at the end of March on its release date. I can't wait to try that one.

Disciple

I enjoy the BBA as well, but too expensive for beer.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Gotta agree. Nothing over the top and way too many other bourbon finished brews out there that makes it easy to pass on Alltech KBBA.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Completely agree.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by DPPSmoker View Post
    I got a ticket yesterday to purchase Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout at the end of March on its release date. I can't wait to try that one.
    Nice "get" -- the ticket sale to the general public doesn't begin until February 16!
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz