Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Cleveland Whiskey revisited

This whisky is so immature you could get arrested for flirting with it.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    This whisky is so immature you could get arrested for flirting with it.
    lol.... Be careful, Chris Hansen might be lurking around the corner.

Novice

Unhappy Re: Cleveland Whiskey revisited

Cleveland Whiskey Batch 001 (3/1/13). Well here they are the tasting notes. Its not pretty.

This is a special process whiskey that claims to attain the flavor profile that is as good if not better than most 10-12 year aged whiskey. Based on their claims this whiskey falls way short.

Nose: Ethanol(alcohol). Past that nothing but sawdust, old wet wood. None of the notes that you would expect from an oak aged whiskey especially one that claims to be better that one aged 10-12 years. No sweet note or spice notes.

Tastes: At a 100 proof itís a high alcohol entry but manageable. Then citrus pith, Iodine/soapy. No sweet note jumps out. No vanilla, no honey, no butterscotch, no maples syrup. These you would expect in a highly aged bourbon. The finish is slightly peppery. This first real spice note you get. No other spices that one would expect to find in a bourbon.

Watered: Watering does nothing for this other than to water it down. There are no hidden flavors hiding behind proof.

Overall Impression: The label say that the whiskey rested 6 months in charred oak prior to its processing and it taste like it. This is still simply a young whiskey with very little flavor. I am very disappointed. I was really hoping that this would be good but I have to follow my palate. Dress: .7(Out of 2), Nose: .3(Out of 3), Taste 1.0 (Out of 5) Itís a dreadful 2 out of 10. Sorry Cleveland Whiskey.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-B...09500935773295

Last edited by Evargas; 03-15-2013 at 09:53.

Guru

No surprises there unfortunately.

Advanced Taster

I agree with you Evargas. As a fellow Clevelander I was hoping for more. Not so much to revolutionize the industry, but more so to have something good and unique from Cleveland. Well at least we still have our sports teams to do that...oh wait

Quote Originally Posted by rndenks View Post
    ... something good and unique from Cleveland ...
    At risk of straying off topic, would any SB folks be interested in participating in a Tom's Foolery Bourbon and Rye tasting? I could host it at the distillery. We have not released any whiskey yet, so it would be a "working session."

Novice

rndnenks, I'm disappointed in this whole thing especially the marketing end. I've watch these huckster like tastings that are just down right hilarious if they wouldn't insult your intelligence. Have you seen this one.http://www.wkyc.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=286506

I love how he has the female host eat chocolate BEFORE tasting!! What??? Then has them drink is whiskey after the Knob Creek without cleansing the palate. He is essentially washing their palate with his whiskey. How about a real tasting with private note cards and seasoned tasters and time in between samples. A non-whiskey drinker is not going to pick up on this. This is why I call it hucksterism. At $35.00 I can walk into the liquor store and walk out with 20 whiskey/whiskies half that price and ten times better tasting.

I really chafe over the marketing of this. Plus I think someone else might of said it. His process is not rapid aging its merely infusion.

As to our sports teams at least there we get to start over next year and there is hope that it can get better but this bill of goods it is difficult to swallow. I'll continue to buy the majority of my whiskey/whisky from Kentucky and Scotland thank you.
    Last edited by Evargas; 03-15-2013 at 11:00.

Novice

I'm in!! I'm a big fan of the way Tom's Foolery are conducting business. Plus I would love to taste what is coming off that Mitcher's old still. Contact me off list my email is available.
    Last edited by Evargas; 03-15-2013 at 11:01.

Trippah and Admin

Re: Black Bourbon Cleveland Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by ohiobourbon View Post
    At risk of straying off topic, would any SB folks be interested in participating in a Tom's Foolery Bourbon and Rye tasting? I could host it at the distillery. We have not released any whiskey yet, so it would be a "working session."
    I would love to revisit your place to see the changes. Maybe we can meet at Subway across the steet from our offices for lunch to discuss the particulars.

If you want we can start a new thread to pick a date.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Re: Black Bourbon Cleveland Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    I would love to revisit your place to see the changes.
    I'll send you a PM.