Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: A Superlative Jack Daniels

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Yeah my friend, but... I like that they have the bananas in JD. I like that they had the eucalyptus in old HH. I like that they have the yeasty thang in Beam. I like that they have the cantaloupe rind in Woodford. I like that they have the good earthiness to a good BT. I like whatever the heck that is in LDI ryes. House Styles. That's what I like. Not every bourbon has to be creamy vanillas, burnt sugar, caramel, and so on...I would hate if all bourbon whiskies migrated to an indistinguishable profile. Heck, sometimes I think we're almost there, already...

Stay DIFFERENT, I say!!!!

I'd like to revive this quote from our currant BOTY! It's a classic IMO and I totally agree.
    Jon

Advanced Taster

I picked up a 200ml awhile ago. Today I poured a JDSB and a JD#7 head to head. the old #7 has lots of banana notes, smokey, vanilla, some oak and hints of baking chocolate. the single barrel has a thicker mouth feel, more oak and vanilla. the banana notes are toned down and very faint, with bittersweet chocolate finish.

UPDATE! I called the store back that had the 86 proof JD. The lady I talked to thought she called me back. She thinks they have some more, but she's not sure where it's at. Part of that reason is that one of the store owners just passed away. She said she'd call me back this week after things have hopefully settled down and gotten back into a more regular routine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    Last edited by fishnbowljoe; 04-14-2013 at 10:38.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    UPDATE! I called the store back that had the 86 proof JD. The lady I talked to thought she called me back. She thinks they have some more, but she's not sure where it's at. Part of that reason is that one of the store owners jut passed away. She said she'd call me back this week after things have hopefully settled down and gotten back into a more regular routine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    Here in Ontario we have lots of JD 86proof. It's marketed as Jack Daniel's White Rabbit Saloon. I assume the one you are after is just in a standard Old #7 bottle from years ago?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

The 86 White Saloon is (IMO) similar to the Black Label but stronger of course.

I just made a three-JD blend using White Saloon, Silver Select and fairly light-bodied SB. It's about 2:1:1.

I am bringing it to gazebo forthcoming as I think it is outstanding both in taste and pillowy soft texture.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyToWhiskey View Post
    Here in Ontario we have lots of JD 86proof. It's marketed as Jack Daniel's White Rabbit Saloon. I assume the one you are after is just in a standard Old #7 bottle from years ago?
    Yes, it's regular Old #7, only a semi-dusty version. BF lowered the proof to 80 in 2005 (?).

Enthusiast

I haven't had JD in years, but I recently saw it on sale and bought a bottle for the heck of it. This thread has me looking forward to trying it.

Well, I got the call, so I had to do my sworn duty. I was a little surprised that these were liters and not 750's as before. Pics below.

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Nice! One of the things I find with JD is that it just tastes better at 86 proof or over. My JD vatting coming to Sampler has 3 JDs in about equal proportions, the 86 proof White Saloon, Silver Select, and a regular Single Barrel. I feel the taste is very good and rich but also that it benefits from the resultant approximately 90 proof.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 04-14-2013 at 11:58.

Guru

Well, 90 is the proof that made the brand's reputation.