Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: A Superlative Jack Daniels

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Definitely still present in some bottlings, but not these 200 ml, really! It must vary depending on the barrels/batches, and I'm hoping is being rubbed out.
    Gary
    I certainly believe you and your palate Gary and hope the same. Funny that tonight...I've settled into a sample somebody gave me of a 11 year old Party Source Willett, 113.2 proof and barrel # 372, and it too has a light dose of banana, but I'm thinking this one's originally a Barton.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Nice to see some JD love on this board instead of the usual bashing. I love me some JD JDSB and JDSS

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

VOB does have a banana-like nose I would say, different than JD has had, but the analogy makes sense IMO.

Gary

Virtuoso

They had Jack on sale here for around $20 (instead of the usual $35), so I picked up a couple bottles. Nothing great, but enjoyable. I really like to sip on the JDSB. I call it "the best whiskey to drink when you want something good, but don't want to think too much about it."
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Enthusiast

By chance the Brown Forman rep stopped by the porch last night and I inquired about the source of the whiskey in the minis. He laughed at me when I suggested they might be juiced up to spur sales and said matter-of-factly that it is the same juice as in the bottles.

They also brought by a taste of the new Jack white dog Rye offering .. not sure what it's being branded as. It's in a few states now but just coming in to Florida. There had to be 8 or 9 of us tasting .. most in the business .. and, while there was some discussion of the rye back-end, etc, etc .. it was not enthusiastically endorsed for those who love their bourbon and rye. No doubt it will fill a niche for white dog .. with the rye standing out as unique. It's all moonshine to me.

I was having Jack again and handed the glass to two very discriminating bourbonites for a blind taste. Each was impressed and surprised when I told them it was Jack Black. Not a person I have handed it to remembers Jack tasting this good. The bartender reminded me that those of us who drank it years ago were drinking it at a higher proof and that it was, indeed, not so sipping friendly as it is now at 80 proof. He indicated that it has been proofed down a couple of times and that BF dropped the proof to 80 when they purchased JD. Not many 80's I find as pleasing.
    They should run a campaign to 'come back to Jack'"!
    Jon

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    ... I really like to sip on the JDSB. I call it "the best whiskey to drink when you want something good, but don't want to think too much about it."
    Perfect! That will be added to my lexicon. Sometimes that is exactly what I want.
    Jon

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HighHorse View Post
    They also brought by a taste of the new Jack white dog Rye offering .. not sure what it's being branded as.
    "Unaged Tennessee Rye"

That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Good call Gary. I happened to buy a new bottle of Jack just the other day. It's not something I buy for myself, but I buy it for the same reason I keep a bottle of Crown at home - a well stocked bar for guests. My previous Jack bottle was 3-4 years old and down to about 20% left. I tried side by side and I picked up less shellac and banana peel in newer version. I still get the banana peel but is very weak.

Guru

I heard that same canard the other day from someone who should know better, that Brown-Forman lowered the proof to 80 when they bought Jack Daniels.

Brown-Forman has owned Jack Daniels for more than 50 years.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Glad to hear that Wade, something is afoot here. It is not invariable yet, but something is going on IMO. It's like perhaps the "eucalyptus" that so many noticed in HH bourbons 10-12 years ago. It's gone now.

Now only if Beam would...

Gary