Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: A Superlative Jack Daniels

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Glad to hear that Wade, something is afoot here. It is not invariable yet, but something is going on IMO. It's like perhaps the "eucalyptus" that so many noticed in HH bourbons 10-12 years ago. It's gone now.

Now only if Beam would...

Gary
    Yeah my friend, but... I like that they have the bananas in JD. I like that they had the eucalyptus in old HH. I like that they have the yeasty thang in Beam. I like that they have the cantaloupe rind in Woodford. I like that they have the good earthiness to a good BT. I like whatever the heck that is in LDI ryes. House Styles. That's what I like. Not every bourbon has to be creamy vanillas, burnt sugar, caramel, and so on...I would hate if all bourbon whiskies migrated to an indistinguishable profile. Heck, sometimes I think we're almost there, already...

Stay DIFFERENT, I say!!!!

JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

It ain't dead yet at HH...well maybe not exactly eucalyptus but definitely spearmint. Way to much of it in the newly arrived 2003 vintage EW SB handpicked by Binny's and designated as Barrel #7. The bottle minus 3 ounces will be available for keeps to anyone who wants it come Sampler weekend. I tried again tonight but the mint overpowers and damn if it won't go away. Not for me.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I am all for differences, but based on flavors I regard as superlative and not based e.g., on - these are metaphors - funk, banana-acetone, pronounced vegetal, or what have you.

The existing palette of bourbon flavors hardly exhausts the potential range.

I would say Jack without a strong banana-acetone-like taste is a superior flavor, but still distinctive. I said earlier the 200 mls I tried had a distinctive complex sweetness, for example.

Gary

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    It ain't dead yet at HH...well maybe not exactly eucalyptus but definitely spearmint. Way to much of it in the newly arrived 2003 vintage EW SB handpicked by Binny's and designated as Barrel #7. The bottle minus 3 ounces will be available for keeps to anyone who wants it come Sampler weekend. I tried again tonight but the mint overpowers and damn if it won't go away. Not for me.
    I would love to bogart your free bottle at Sampler, Thad! Unfortunately, once Jimmy hears that there is a freebie bottle available, it'll be in his suitcase before lunch. Anywho, I'm sure I'll pony up for a bottle beforehand, as I always look forward to the yearly releases of EWSB. I'll be looking for that spearmint.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

I understand where everyone is coming from with the banana flavor in JD products. I thought the same thing too. I've sipped some JD the last couple of nights, and I got something different this time around. Yeah, we all know that JD is filtered through sugar maple charcoal, and maybe it's a bit suggestive, but I swear the sweetness I got from my JD and JDSS was more akin to a hint of maple syrup. Maybe y'all could revisit your Jack and see if you can taste it too. I'd hate to think that I'm the only crazy one here that tastes maple syrup.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I heard that same canard the other day from someone who should know better, that Brown-Forman lowered the proof to 80 when they bought Jack Daniels.

Brown-Forman has owned Jack Daniels for more than 50 years.
    Thanks, Squire .. I'll double check and inform my bartender .. he should know better! (I'll inform him pleasantly, though, so as not to impact my future pours.)
    Jon

Enthusiast

Yes, let's not upset THOSE bartenders. Too huge a resource, from what Steve tells me. Guess I'll see for myself in March.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    I understand where everyone is coming from with the banana flavor in JD products. I thought the same thing too. I've sipped some JD the last couple of nights, and I got something different this time around. Yeah, we all know that JD is filtered through sugar maple charcoal, and maybe it's a bit suggestive, but I swear the sweetness I got from my JD and JDSS was more akin to a hint of maple syrup. Maybe y'all could revisit your Jack and see if you can taste it too. I'd hate to think that I'm the only crazy one here that tastes maple syrup.
    I just had some JDSS ans tasted a hint of maple syrup in the initial taste, towards the front of the tongue. It disappeared into the oak and char flavor pretty quickly though. And I've never really tasted any banana in any of the JD products I've had. Must just be me.

Guru

I just acquired a Silver Select. Very good, no banana. I think this is the best expression of JD I've ever had.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    I just acquired a Silver Select. Very good, no banana. I think this is the best expression of JD I've ever had.
    Joe
    The Silver Select is only available in "Duty Free" shops, correct?
    ovh