Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

A Superlative Jack Daniels

I bought a 200 ml to top up my current JD vatting and was surprised how good it was. Soft and elegant, and it reminded me of nothing so much as the original Michter's (despite the low rye in the Jack). It had zero banana or other fruit but a complex slightly smoky sweetness.

I bought a couple more from the same shelf a few days later and they taste the same.

Jack is getting better and better and it's not my imagination. For once I thought it was worth the money - and more.

Gary

Virtuoso

A Superlative Jack Daniels

This doesn't speak to your point, Gary, regarding JD getting better, but I picked up a few 200ml bottles WT101 while on vacation last month and thought the juice inside was markedly better than the last time I had a pour from a bar bottle. It made me wonder if the producers might intentionally put better barrels towards smaller bottles, the strategy being to lure someone who purchases a 200ml bottle to go all in on a 750ml bottle next time.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

Re: A Superlative Jack Daniels

Don't know if that's the strategy but I can see how it might work.

Interesting point!

Gary

Enthusiast

Yesterday I left the bourbon and ventured back to Jack Daniels. It has been years since I had it .. going back to when I was drinking bourbon and coke! I had it on the rocks and was delighted. Had it with friends and we all admitted that none of us had it at home. I guess we've just become bourbon snobs. Well .. I had a second .. and that's more than enough to convince me to pick up a couple. The JD was loaded with sweet caramel goodness complete with a full, flowery bourbonesque nose and a determined finish. I guess it's no wonder they sell so much of this stuff. Unfortunately .. most of it is likely still consumed with coke or ginger ale. I'll also pick up some of the 200 ml bottles. Back to black .. who woulda thunk it?
    Jon

Enthusiast

I havn't had Jack in a few years. Maybe I'll pick up a small bottle. Putting better juice in the smaller bottles could be a good marketing ploy - but it also could have tasted better b/c you were on vacation. Everything tastes better on vacation!

Enthusiast

Re the Jack ... I also thought it was good enough and close enough to toss it in the fray on Squire's tasting quiz ... but thought ... nah .. there's no way he would do that! Not Squire!
    Jon

Hmmmmmm. Y'all got me thinking. Yeah, dangerous I know.

I haven't had any JD in a while. I have a handle (about 1/2 full) that I keep around just in case. A couple of my bowling buddies love their Jack and Cokes, and my son will have one once in a while when he's over. To be honest, I've really never given much thought about regular JD as a sipper, even though I like my occasional Jack and Coke too. I have had a couple of bottles of JDSB in the past and thought they were pretty good for sipping, and thanks to a fellow SB member, I also have a bottle of JDSS that I think is quite good. The Tennessee equivalent of a BIB. And most of you know that next to wheaters, I love BIB's.

After supper tonight, I just may have to have me some Tennessee whiskey. After all, it's good to change things up once in a while. Cheers guys! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I bought a 200 ml to top up my current JD vatting and was surprised how good it was. Soft and elegant, and it reminded me of nothing so much as the original Michter's (despite the low rye in the Jack). It had zero banana or other fruit but a complex slightly smoky sweetness.

I bought a couple more from the same shelf a few days later and they taste the same.

Jack is getting better and better and it's not my imagination. For once I thought it was worth the money - and more.

Gary
    However a single barrel version I tasted at a restaurant a few weeks ago, that was just handpicked by them, did have prominent banana. I passed the glencairn for my wife to smell, saying nothing, and the first comment from her was banana. She only drinks her whiskey in an Old Fashioned and knows nothing about this proclivity of JD. The menu relates, that Jeff Arnett had proclaimed this was a true honey barrel redolent with butterscotch. And it still wasn't bad and had some other things going on but no butterscotch to me. This restaurants handpicked Eagle Rare was the highlight of the 3 of their handpicks I tasted that evening with tons of cherry pipe tobacco smell, as I best remember, from sticking my face into my Dad's canister of it back in the '60s .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Definitely still present in some bottlings, but not these 200 ml, really! It must vary depending on the barrels/batches, and I'm hoping is being rubbed out.

Gary