Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Dickel Rye Not Delayed

I know Dickel is primarily sold in the South, perhaps Alabama is the exception.

Back to the rye, it is a good drink. Poured myself some the other night and wasn't really thinking about it when I took the first swig and it was, in fact, a swig. "Wow," thought I, "that's a lot of flavor." More mint, almost wintergreen, than standard MGPI rye. That doesn't mean the charcoal put mint in, but rather that it stripped away something the absence of which made the mint pop.

Guru

Well it's on my buy list, just a matter of time.

Advanced Taster

I saw Dickel Rye on the shelf in VA last week, and in MI stores for ~2 wks. now.

Connoisseur

Sighted in Hawaii, and at the better price, too! I thought about picking it up, but had my heart set on some more discounted EWSB 2002. I guess I'd better go back and spring for a bottle to complete my low-end Dickel set (Dickel 8 & Dickel 12).

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Got a bottle of Dickel Rye today. $20. This is the exact flavor profile as the Bulleit Rye but with that nice Dickel charcoal addition. It's less edgy and more refined but still presents itself as a younger very-high-rye-content rye whiskey. I'm going to guess it's 4-6 years old. Very good stuff for the price and a good alternative for those of us that like Bulleit Rye or any of the other MGP/LDI ryes.
    Just got it last night when the rep dropped by. They're just now beginning to roll it out in North Florida. My tasting notes are pretty much dead on with yours, Ethan. I posted them last night in the "What Rye Are You Drinking.." thread. The charcoal mellowing gave it away in a blind tasting with Bulleit and Baby Saz. I think it's going to be around $23-$24 here ... a good buy. BTW .. rep tells me their big states are in the south and Alabama on top of the list for what it's worth.
    Jon

Guru

Just because a couple of boys from Alabama and Mississippi don't know any Dickel drinkers it doesn't mean they know the market. After all, we are connoisseurs for the most part.

If I ever get through my bottle of Ritt I'll give this stuff a shot.
    Last edited by smknjoe; 02-12-2013 at 11:27.

Guru

When it gets to Tuscaloosa it will be within reach.

Connoisseur

I saw this a couple of weeks ago. but only recently tried it. I think it is similar to the other ryes from Lawrenceburg such as Bulleit, or Willett. It seems like there is almost no alcohol burn for 90 proof; maybe from maple charcoal filtering. It's also sort of sweet, but not cloying. I like it. I'm glad Dickel bottled this at 90, and aged the whiskey enough.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

To me, the best thing about it is the price. Just makes me think that all of these independents who take the same whiskey and charge $50 for it have an unsustainable business model.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    To me, the best thing about it is the price. Just makes me think that all of these independents who take the same whiskey and charge $50 for it have an unsustainable business model.
    1+ and I couldn't agree more,it's nice to have another product on the shelf in the low $20 under a major label that is this good and widely available.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski