Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

Some Other Bourbon Video

We all know about the bourbon video; it's called "Made and Bottled in Kentucky", and the trailer credits say it was written, produced, and directed by a certain Mr. Charles Cowdery, aka, "Our Very Own Chuck".

Is there another video about bourbon?

Recently my son told me he casually glimpsed another such video, which he thinks he saw on The History Channel. I wish he had paid more attention, as I would like to find it on video. A search of The History Channel website has been fruitless. Perhaps he actually saw it elsewhere.

He remembers one scene where bourbon bottles were being dipped, upside-down in black wax, but he can't say whether it was Maker's Mark (for the Japanese market), Knob Creek, or some other bottling.

Has anyone else any idea what this program might have been and whether it is available on videocassette?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: The Thirsty Traveler

Dave I'm sure your son is refering to a PBS show called 'The Thirsty Traveler'. The black wax is a dead givaway as the show was on Jim Beam and one of the sceens was of Knob Creeking bottle dipping and embossing. There is also another edition out that also shows some of the other distilleries, but I havn't seen it.

Connoisseur

Linn, according to my search "the Thirsty Traveler" airs on Food TV or the Food Network as some call it.

Here is their publicity:

All that food got you parched? Quench your thirst with our globe-trotting journey of a lifetime. Follow host Kevin Brauch as he visits the world's greatest beer, wine and spirit-producing regions, from the sun-drenched hills of Sonoma Valley, California, to the frothy beer halls of Belgium. Discover the regions' customs and revel in his destination's stunning landscape and cuisine.
    Thirsty Traveler airs Tuesdays at 10:30 p.m. and 1:30 a.m., and Saturdays at 6:00 p.m. All times ET.

Connoisseur

I've not seen the show so I won't argue about where they shot scenes but I do know their material lists the following sources:

Kentucky
    Buffalo Trace Distillery
    (502) 696-5924
    http://www.buffalotrace.com

The Old Talbott Tavern
    107 W. Stephen Foster Ave.
    Bardstown, KY 40004
    (502) 348-3494

Makers Mark Bourbon
    Star Hill Farm
    Loretto, KY 40037
    (270) 865-2881

Elmwood Mansion

If they shot at Jim Beam in Clermont or elsewhere they are not listing it.

**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah you're right Greg I've gotten the two mixed up. At any rate there are two shows of limited scope about bourbon floating around along with a CNN piece on L & G.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

We may be talking about two different things. The show on the History Channel was part of the "Hands on History" series. Ron Hazelton is the host. I saw it. It was shot entirely at Jim Beam and the black wax was Knob Creek. I remember because my brother watched it with me and he was surprised to learn that the wax sealing really is a by-hand operation.

Connoisseur

Re: The Thirsty Traveler vs. Hands On History

Chuck, you are right. I was not aware of the show on the History Channel. I've watched The Thirsty Traveler but did not see their bourbon episode. I sure learned a lot about ouzo from Greece though

Greg

Disciple

In an amazing coincidence my Dad and i were watching Bobby Flay's show on the Food Network while I was showing him the pictures I got while I was in bardstown, and what should come on directly afterward but the Thirsty Traveler's show on Bourbon. It is really fun when you can talk about a show on TV like you have been there like the segments on BT and the Talbott tavern, It really brings things to life. My Dad started tlaking like he wanted to meet in Bardstown for the next Festival BLEEEEEE!!!! The only qualm I had was at the end that they were using Maker's Mark and Van Winkle Family Reserve as good examples of whiskeys to go with cigars and they were discussing them as equalls. Even though I enjoy MM, they are not even in the same ballpark! !

TomC

Guru

The Thirsty Traveler - On Bourbon

I finally happened to catch this episode of "Thirsty Traveller" last night. It aired on the Fine Living channel. I noticed that the DirecTV guide listed the episode as being made in 2003.

The show was actually in three segments. The first, which focused on bourbon alone, was filmed partly at the Maker's Mark distillery. Assuming that the spoken dialog matched the sub-titles, upon which I increasingly rely, there were several errors. After correctly stating that bourbon mash must contain at least 51% corn, later the narrator said that the mash recipe is "very simple", consisting solely of corn, water and yeast. No mention of rye, barley malt or even wheat -- the latter being very surprising considering where the segment was shot and the speaking part granted to Mr. Samuels.

The second segment focued on preparation of food and a formal dinner in the home of a gentleman whose name I tried unsuccessfully to remember.

Finally there was the segment on bourbon and cigars, still in the same home.

The episode was enjoyable to watch, just as long as I didn't take it too seriously.

Oh, and there was also some material shot at Buffalo Trace. That must have been in the first segment. There was one revealing scene in which Elmer T. Lee sipped and then described the taste of his namesake bourbon. Not once did he mention leather, cinnamon, coriander, nutmeg, lotus blossoms, cattails or any of the fanciful descriptors that we would-be connoisseurs are likely to use.

Anyway, this show is still in the playlist, possibly making it worth one's while to click on "Info" when the Fine Living channel appears while one is channel surfing.

{This post is dedicated to the Search function, without which I would have created a new and redundant thread.}

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Administrator in exile

Re: The Thirsty Traveler - On Bourbon

Only took you three years huh Dave?