Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Yet another opinion needed.....

For me the Handy is worth every penny. It's one of the oomphiest Rye's on the shelf, and when the mood strikes nothing else will do. Doesn't have the mouthwashey mint that so much of the LDI sourced product has. YMMV but you need to try and decide for yourself.

Connoisseur

Have you tried Bookers? If you're looking for higher proof its not a bad start and pretty reasonably priced. Either that or a bottle of the Willet family reserve bourbon or rye wouldn't be a bad start at higher proof without breaking the bank.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Does BT have 2 rye mashbills?
    In spite of the proof Saz and Handy seem different.
    They do have two but Handy & Baby Saz have the same one. The other one is for the Taylor rye.

A couple years ago when the price of Handy went up in the mitten I did a head to head of Baby Saz vs. Handy cut down to 90 proof. I couldn't tell the difference. That was the last bottle of Handy I bought. With the price hike it was no longer a good deal. I'm an outlier on this, but I'm perfectly fine with that. One less thing for me to hunt for and more on the shelf for those who enjoy it.

Re: the Willet ryes, yes they are also barrel proof, but they are a very different style of rye from the Saz family.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Yeah petrel, funny you say Booker's. Have a nice unopened bottle at home, I think their 25th Anniversary. ?? (And I wonder when I will ever open it.) But a local shop has a 129 proofer sitting there for about $50. I keep thinkling about getting it, but Booker's just doesn't seem to impress too many on here. Even the guy selling it said he thinks it's overrated. I've gone through several bottles years ago, but it was always via shots !!, and shots only.That was fun! Always wondered what it would be like to be a "big boy" and just sip it. Maybe I'm missing out on something. Per chance it's time to revisit history, after all.

Enthusiast

Handy isn't worth it. It's something that everyone will eventually have to try since it's part of the BTAC, but I think you should try to find it in a bar to test it out. I like Willet ryes better, and the price on those is more attractive. If your goal is to get a high proof whiskey regardless of it being rye or bourbon grab a Four Roses Single Barrel. There are many store bottlings of it at barrel proof around $50-$60, TPS has all the recipes available or you could find a local retailer that gets their own bottling. Avoid the Bookers too, that one is easy enough to find in a bar to try and isn't that great.

Guru

Painkiller there are more practical choices out there but there is only one Handy so if you want it get it.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller View Post
    Yeah petrel, funny you say Booker's. Have a nice unopened bottle at home, I think their 25th Anniversary. ?? (And I wonder when I will ever open it.) But a local shop has a 129 proofer sitting there for about $50. I keep thinkling about getting it, but Booker's just doesn't seem to impress too many on here. Even the guy selling it said he thinks it's overrated. I've gone through several bottles years ago, but it was always via shots !!, and shots only.That was fun! Always wondered what it would be like to be a "big boy" and just sip it. Maybe I'm missing out on something. Per chance it's time to revisit history, after all.
    Its hit or miss, but I've had more hits than misses, if you look around, you can find airplane bottles of bookers to try if you don't want to shell for the full bottle.

Virtuoso

best bang for your buck with rye? Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond. That being said, Thomas Handy is amazing rye. I keep a bottle on hand to add a splash to the occasional sazerac cocktail or to drink when the mood hits- as others have said, nothing else compares. Sazerac Rye (or baby saz, or saz jr, &c) is my absolute LEAST favorite rye. I can't speak for every release of Thomas Handy, but the 2008 is my favorite. 127.5 proof. Later releases were more sazerac-like, and if you cut them with water, maybe they'd be the same. I can't say. But 08.... Man. Only thing better is the short run of Bowman Rye at barrel proof that the party source did.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    They do have two but Handy & Baby Saz have the same one. The other one is for the Taylor rye.

A couple years ago when the price of Handy went up in the mitten I did a head to head of Baby Saz vs. Handy cut down to 90 proof. I couldn't tell the difference. That was the last bottle of Handy I bought. With the price hike it was no longer a good deal. I'm an outlier on this, but I'm perfectly fine with that. One less thing for me to hunt for and more on the shelf for those who enjoy it.

Re: the Willet ryes, yes they are also barrel proof, but they are a very different style of rye from the Saz family.
    I've had a similar experience except that I found the current Baby Saz to be better than my Handy when adjusted for proof. If memory serves this was the 2010 THH.

Look, Hanndy is great rye, no doubt about it. I thik it's ludicrous to pay $80 or $90 for 6 year old anything, barrel proof or not. But it's great rye and if you like high proof ryes there really isn't anything else to compare it to. The Willetts are great, too, but not at all like the Handy.

I'd say buy it. I certainly don't regret the bottle that I bought (at $70) but I don't expect to buy another one.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Guru

Yet another opinion needed.....

Who cares what THH is like versus baby Saz at the same proof? You can't up the proof on the baby Saz to THH level - and at barrel proof, THH is delicious.

Try the THH if you can before you buy but the baby Saz / proof argument is bunk IMO.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof