Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Yet another opinion needed.....

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Glad to get a discussion going on the topic!

My bottle was a 2010 too, I believe.

For me, it is a factor. I don't usually drink barrel proof whiskeys at barrel proof. I add water to them, almost always. At the high proofs the BTAC barrel proofers, I can't taste anything but alcohol. Cut down to the 90s or 100s, I can taste a lot more. Plus the massive, painful heartburn that follows makes me miserable for hours. So maybe this discussion says as much about how people drink their whiskey as it does about Saz Jr & Handy.
    I'm with you on always cutting high proofs. Not as low as 90 but 100 to 107 proof. Also not the biggest health nut (or would I be here) but I do wonder if down the line there may be some damage if one is regularly drinking high proof, even in moderate amounts. I know above 107 proof, my tongue and back of throat are feeling things that don't happen below that. As to heartburn...that's why God invented man who could then invent Omeprazole .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    I'm with you on always cutting high proofs. Not as low as 90 but 100 to 107 proof. Also not the biggest health nut (or would I be here) but I do wonder if down the line there may be some damage if one is regularly drinking high proof, even in moderate amounts. I know above 107 proof, my tongue and back of throat are feeling things that don't happen below that. As to heartburn...that's why God invented man who could then invent Omeprazole .
    I'll talk to the doc about that one! I do take OTC reflux remedies. The heartburn is aggravated by the meds I take for my auto-immune issues, and I'm trying to avoid the never-ending rabbit hole of taking meds to deal with the symtoms of other meds.

I have read (although I can't recall where) that drinking high proof spirits can damage the lining of the esophagus.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Not to throw my own topic "off-topic" , but I do find myself really enjoying the higher proofs. OWA is a phenomenal, sweet bourbon. I just recently purchased Noah's Mill @114 proof. A fine sipping whisky,indeed. I try not to dilute w water. Drink it the way it's meant to be. I say "it's the thrill of the burn". Admittedly, that's what piqued my interest in the TH Rye. I figured kill 2 birds with 1 stone. A rye and a highproof. But I get where you guys are coming from. Btw, if you dilute Booker's with enough water, would you end up w Jim Beam?? Just kidding( I think ).

Guru

Yes, as a matter of fact you would, or at least a single barrel version.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    I am sufficiently chided :-)

Don't mean to step on anybody's toes... Apologies to Josh, ErichPryde, & anybody else if I did so.

No toe stepping done here... Josh and I have crossed keyboards and sent letters flying over this exact subject before. I think Handy is great, awesome stuff and justifies a higher price point.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Connoisseur

BT can say what they want to, but I think they have 2 rye mashbills. One is the mashbill they bottled up as EH Taylor rye. The other is a lighter bodied whiskey. The rye white dog they bottled is way to light to turn into anything in the barrel. I think they blend the 2 white dogs together and barrel them. The EH Taylor is what they would call a flavoring rye in Canada.

Disciple

Handy is a great bottle, and when it's under $70 it's a no brainer. I also really like Baby Saz.

I find it hard to believe that any regular on this forum would dislike anything labeled bourbon or rye on any shelf. They're all good, that's why we're here. The only way to find out if it's worth the money is to pay up, and then ponder your buyers remorse (or remorselessness) over said whiskey.

Virtuoso

The only way to find out if it's worth the money is to pay up, and then ponder your buyers remorse (or remorselessness) over said whiskey.

Well said sir! ........

Guru

Handy is a great bottle, and when it's under $70 it's a no brainer. I also really like Baby Saz.

I find it hard to believe that any regular on this forum would dislike anything labeled bourbon or rye on any shelf. They're all good, that's why we're here. The only way to find out if it's worth the money is to pay up, and then ponder your buyers remorse (or remorselessness) over said whiskey.
    That or find somebody with an open bottle and get a taste. Most members here are happy to oblige when asked nicely.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    That or find somebody with an open bottle and get a taste. Most members here are happy to oblige when asked nicely.
    My point was more along the lines of, "of course it's worth it when someone else is paying".