Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Disciple

Re: Yet another opinion needed.....

I find the Handy to be a great whiskey,that being said I do have a hang up of paying the full BTAC pricing for a 6yr. rye.I prefer the Saz 18,but when I have a urge for a bold in your face rye Handy always fits the bill for me,a few drops of water brings out all the floral and spiced notes and it always hits the spot!The Handy seems to hover on shelves for months after the all of releases so I pour the Handy year round which is a really nice option to have if I do say so myself.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    I agree that you can't get saz to the same proof level, but the argument isn't bunk. Josh's point is that if it tastes the same at 90 proof, there's nothing more special about THH than the proof and therefore it doesn't warrant the high price tag.
    I don't care if the only difference between THH and baby saz is that Harlen Wheatley hocks a loogie in each bottle of the THH. If that is what makes it taste great, I am not going to argue over the relative value of Wheatleys spit. At times I do geek out over the details of whiskey, but when it comes to a certain point I really don't care what happened to it before it landed in my glass.

I don't dilute THH, and that flavor at that proof is something I just can't recreate outside of THH. I don't drink everything at barrel proof, but THH and Bookers are a couple that I vastly prefer at full octane. I really have nothing to add on the overall quality or value of THH, but to me it is well worth $70-$80 a bottle.

Guru

In this area Handy does tend to hang around the shelves longer than the other members of the Collection, which I've always supposed was due to lesser recognition.

Virtuoso

Yet another opinion needed.....

$80 is too much. I'm a big fan of Handy (at least of the years I've tasted - '09 & '10), but I'd pass by most days at $65. $60 and I'm likely in, though I scored three bottles of the '10 for $50 each last summer, so...

That said, my first bottle was very educational for me as far as showing me what a CS high-corn rye whiskey tastes like. Handy does not have much competition in that category...
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Virtuoso

Well if THAT'S the case, Sky, what are we drinking tonight...?
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

On it's own the THH wins hands down. I think the Baby Saz is fantastic in cocktails though. I've yet to find a better whiskey to make an Old Fashioned, and that includes the THH. It's so sporadic to find here in CA that I use it exclusively for this purpose.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    Well if THAT'S the case, Sky, what are we drinking tonight...?
    OGD114, OWA SB, and if you're nice to me we'll open a 2012 Handy.

Advanced Taster

I haven't tried the Baby Saz yet, but I'll buy many more bottles of Willett before I pay for another bottle of Handy. And you can find lots of them around here. Rittenhouse is good, but I do love the Willett.
    Women without whiskey...
    Women without whiskey...
    Whiskey's hard to beat.
    - Drive By Truckers