Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

What do you do when you're in a bourbon rut?

I'm in a rut! I haven't been enjoying bourbon as much lately. It seems like all my open bottles are boring, even the barrel proofers taste like ordinary bourbon where they raised the proof to slap a premium on it. I got no BTAC to break up the year with something special, but I'm not even sure that would have helped. Maybe I'm out of new bourbon experiences to explore and its getting to me. I could try to cut back my consumption so it feels special again, but currently I've been having more scotch evenings. Those are satisfying, but I still feel like something is different. What do you do?

Guru

Re: What do you do when you're in a bourbon rut?

There's always the craft distillers, Canadian, Irish, Japanese, cognac, armagnac, fruit brandies...you get the idea. Theres a whole world of distilled spirits out there. Branch out. Try something different. Maybe you'll find a new love. Maybe it will make you fall in love with our bourbon all over again.

Connoisseur

Not only do I have several different Bourbon expressions opened to choose from, I also have various expressions of Scotch to choose from (yes, including peated, yum). If a whisk(e)y doesn't quite seem right, I'll reach for a craft beer.

I try to make my libation experiences never boring and always intriguing and interesting.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Virtuoso

Sometimes it's good to take a break. When I'm not "feeling it" with bourbon or scotch, I turn to Tequila for a change of pace.

Guru

Explore the World of cocktails, you've got the makins.

Advanced Taster

I've been slowly adding more single whiskeys to my stable to shake things up and my next couple of purchases will likely be Japanese whiskeys.

Connoisseur

Gin is actually interesting again, lots of different stuff to try these days. Check out the St George offerings. New cocktails and perfecting old ones can make your bourbon interesting again.

Disciple

What do you do when you're in a bourbon rut?

I drink beer. Never really a conscious decision, my consumption just kind of ebbs and flows between the two.
    Jim

Virtuoso

This happens to me too. I switch over to cocktails and imperial stouts. Eventually I swing back to bourbon.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by petrel800 View Post
    Gin is actually interesting again, lots of different stuff to try these days. Check out the St George offerings. New cocktails and perfecting old ones can make your bourbon interesting again.
    There is a relatively new gin out that is quite intriguing, along the line of Hendricks. It's called Greenalls, and it is not very expensive (maybe $29 for a 1.75?). Very nice, non-standard gin. It has an even newer big brother, called Bloom, but that one is too floral for me. Greenalls makes great cocktails, but can also be consumed on the rocks, which is the way we drink it.