Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What do you do when you're in a bourbon rut?

Quote Originally Posted by HighHorse View Post
    Lordy. I hope this never happens to me. There are a few thousand $ worth of noteworthy bottles on my shelves & under tables at home and in the office (and some in my trunk). Most are unopened. My challange is trying to forecast the end of life so that I can get started and finish both the stash and life at approximately the same time!

Here's a suggestion: Start visiting the typical bars that offer only Jack Daniels, and one more whatever. Order one of those dozen offerings of Grey Goose and try to spike it up with olives, lemon peels and onions. Then switch over .. as some have suggested .. to those wonderful gins .. and .. if you're still off bourbon .. dive into the peat.

If you're not back to the wonderful complexity and all-American juice of the Master Distillers of Kentucky by now .. I would suggest gravitating to a board where they discuss wierd sex, boar hunting or saskwatch.

My sympathies & deepest condolences. I hope you pull through this and know that we are family.
    This could possibly be categorized as a classic post. Well said with great entertainment value!!
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Guru

That's right minded thinking, the stash is finished before the Estate begins.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by HP12 View Post
    This could possibly be categorized as a classic post. Well said with great entertainment value!!
    "Possibly" be catagorized as a classic post??? If this isn't a classic post, I've never seen one!

Max, the solution is simple. Instead of drinkin' your whiskey neat or on the rocks, make some simple syrup, buy a good orange, and make a bourbon old fashioned with top shelf bourbon....and don't forget to flame the orange peel when you drop it in the glass. If THAT doesn't get you reenergized on bourbon, let me know and I'll swing by to pick up all the bottles you no longer need

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HP12 View Post
    Not only do I have several different Bourbon expressions opened to choose from, I also have various expressions of Scotch to choose from (yes, including peated, yum). If a whisk(e)y doesn't quite seem right, I'll reach for a craft beer.

I try to make my libation experiences never boring and always intriguing and interesting.
    Ditto. I sometimes find myself craving bourbon after dinner, only to pour a nice glass and be underwhelmed for some odd reason. If the bourbon/single malt/Irish whiskey/tequila ain't doing it, a nice craft beer nearly always does the trick. Sometimes you just gotta change things up.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by humchan2k View Post
    Max, the solution is simple. Instead of drinkin' your whiskey neat or on the rocks, make some simple syrup, buy a good orange, and make a bourbon old fashioned with top shelf bourbon....and don't forget to flame the orange peel when you drop it in the glass. If THAT doesn't get you reenergized on bourbon, let me know and I'll swing by to pick up all the bottles you no longer need
    That's exactly what I do to shake things up (and is incidentally the way I got myself into bourbon a few years ago... gotta love old fashioned cocktails). Even do the flamed orange peel sometimes too.

And please let me know if you need help alleviating the whiskey stock from our friend Max... I'll be glad to help.

Virtuoso

Enjoying whiskey can cause fatigue. Sometimes I just want "a drink" that tastes good enough, relaxes the mood, etc. And I feel like it's wasted on good whiskey. Sometimes that feeling lasts for several days or longer. I might drink rum or a disposable whiskey like white label beam with diet coke. A good stout or IPA works wonders. And I really like drinking black russians, especially during the winter time.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I double the usual shot.

No actually I will usually have another spirit, rum probably, or if not that, a malt, gin or vodka.

Gary

Guru

Sometimes, I just don't have the desire to drink. There's no shame in taking a few days, weeks, or maybe a month off.

Guru

What do you do when you're in a bourbon rut?

Not there yet but this thread is great in case I ever get the bourbon blues
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof