Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Virtuoso

What do you do when you're in a bourbon rut?

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Not there yet but this thread is great in case I ever get the bourbon blues
    The bourbon blues... The bourbon blues... Yeah, I don't think that means what you think it means. Singing the blues because you have a cabinet full of bourbon and no desire to drink it? Tell it to the guy on the corner with a sign that says "Will work for booze."

I think Gary nailed it. You're not drinking enough.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Advanced Taster

Re: What do you do when you're in a bourbon rut?

Sounds like you need to liquiidate your entire bourbon bunker to get over this. As President (OK, co-president of the Georgia Bourbon Society ) , I propose that we take all bourbons off your hands at no charge. We're here to help. I'll PM address later. Don't wait . The problem will only get worse.
    "Abstainer: A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure."
    Ambrose Bierce

Guru

What do you do when you're in a bourbon rut?

First world issues right? I hear ya ;-)
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by compliance View Post
    I'm in a rut! I haven't been enjoying bourbon as much lately. It seems like all my open bottles are boring, even the barrel proofers taste like ordinary bourbon where they raised the proof to slap a premium on it. I got no BTAC to break up the year with something special, but I'm not even sure that would have helped. Maybe I'm out of new bourbon experiences to explore and its getting to me. I could try to cut back my consumption so it feels special again, but currently I've been having more scotch evenings. Those are satisfying, but I still feel like something is different. What do you do?
    You're in L.A. So, I would say go visist your doctor tell him your woes and he will most likely send you to the closest local dispensary.

Guru

I don't see me changing anytime soon.

Enthusiast

What's wrong with you guys?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by humchan2k View Post
    Max, the solution is simple. Instead of drinkin' your whiskey neat or on the rocks, make some simple syrup, buy a good orange, and make a bourbon old fashioned with top shelf bourbon....and don't forget to flame the orange peel when you drop it in the glass. If THAT doesn't get you reenergized on bourbon, let me know and I'll swing by to pick up all the bottles you no longer need
    I went for this tonight. Used a fresh orange from my inlaws back yard and some PHC '12. Any hints for flaming the peel? I held a lighter up to it for a bit. This is ok. I think i need some tips, the internet recipe is a little bare bones. You know what would really get me excited for bourbon? Some 60's Old Fitz from a 5 gallon jug

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by compliance View Post
    I went for this tonight. Used a fresh orange from my inlaws back yard and some PHC '12. Any hints for flaming the peel? I held a lighter up to it for a bit. This is ok. I think i need some tips, the internet recipe is a little bare bones. You know what would really get me excited for bourbon? Some 60's Old Fitz from a 5 gallon jug
    To flame the peel you heat it a bit and then squeeze the peel quickly to express the oil. First time i did it it was more than I expected! Keep it away from the eyebrows...

Might help to look at this.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Sorry to hear that bourbon isn't currently doing it for you. Here lately I have been 180 from where you are, everything is tasting good. I am enjoying my premium bottles as well as my bargain pours. Tonight I am really enjoying EWB, I keep a bottle in my kitchen for cooking and mixing, because I was too lazy to walk the 12 steps down to my lower level bar to pour a glass from one of my prized bottles. Since I have never been in a "rut" I have no words of wisdom for you but I offer my best wishes that in short time you again find your bourbon collection enjoyable.

Cheers
    Jim

When I get in a bourbon rut I switch to Irish for a day or two.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.