Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Hi from Grand Rapids MI

Well, figured it was about time to hop off the bench and get into the game. I have been gleaning this great community for information for the past year or so. Usually I hop online while I am enjoying a bourbon with nothing on my mind that I want to read about. Then, I find myself going down the rabbit hole following multipage posts then jumping to the similar threads suggestions and making a night out of it. I enjoy this experience and thank the community for the wealth of knowledge that is stored here.

I started to really get into bourbon about 4 years ago after a road trip with some college buddies to the bourbon trail with a side trip to Keenland. Since then I have dialed down the craft brews and bourbon has become my drink of choice. My go to every dayer is four roses small batch at the moment. I just finished building my basement bar so I look forward to hear everyone's favorites so I can stock it appropriately!

-Joe

Guru

Re: Hi from Grand Rapids MI

Welcome aboard Joe and good to see another Mitten man join.
    MI has got a good size number of members here on SB.com.
    A basement bar sounds great.
    As far as what to stock it with, my regular pours are Four Roses Single Barrel, Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Old Weller Antique, all are easily obtainable here in MI as I'm sure you know.
    ovh

Guru

Morning Joe, Welcome aboard. As for suggestions I recommend a case of Barton and fill up your new bar with everything else.

Connoisseur

Welcome Joe. Sounds like you are well on your way down the wondrous path of bourbon exploration. I'll vouch for Oscar's OWA recommendation. I also enjoy Willett (particularly their wheaters), any VW expression, GTS, WLW to name a few.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Guru

Hi from Grand Rapids MI

Welcome Joe! I haven't been on SB very long either and it's been a great resource - it's opened my eyes & palate to a world of whiskies I would have otherwise been ignorant of.

I look forward to your contributions here.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

Howdy Joe-

I hope you are doing great and welcome from another Michigan guy.

I would echo Oscar's selections as I am a big Four Roses fan myself.

Best regards, Tony

Guru

Welcome Joe, from another Joe. Everyone has their favorite top shelfers, but for everyday pours I like OWA, Elmer T. Lee, Old Grand Dad 114, Buffalo Trace, and Very Old Barton. The Evan Williams Single Barrel 2002 I have is pretty tasty too.

Advanced Taster

Welcome, Joe! I too have made many a night out of a glass of bourbon and reading old posts.

If you like Four Roses, you really can't go wrong with any of their expressions. The Yellow Label is a favorite everyday pour of mine. I would also recommend trying anything that says Bottled in Bond on the label.

Nice looking bar, by the way!

Guru

Welcome Joe! We have a nice little gang in this part of the state, but are there many bourbon entusiasts you know of in West Michigan? Or is the pull of wine & beer too strong?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Novice

Thanks for all of the warm welcomes and great recommendations! I will be running out this Friday to the local liquor store to pick up a few of the every day pour selections mentioned.

Josh- There is exponentially fewer bourbon enthusiasts out this way compared to craft beer. With Founders and Bells so close craft beer rules the land...but I have converted a few friends who are big into barrel aged brews over to the light.