Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Whats your simple syrup recipe?

Lately I've had a taste for old fashioneds (how the heck do you plural that correctly?). Real basic recipe, splash of simple syrup, couple dashes of bitters, and somewhere between 2 and 3 oz of something >= 100pf and either high rye bourbon or a straight rye.

But anyway, I've played with a few different ratios and techniques for making the simple syrup. My last batch I did 2:1 sugar:water and didn't use heat, just shook the hell out of it in a cocktail shaker for a few minutes. Seemed to be nice and viscous, all in all not bad.

Went to the farmers market tonight, and having read about others using demerara sugar I decided to give some minimally processed cane sugar a try.

Drinking my first cocktail with it now, and I haven't made up my mind. Its good, but has a lot of molasses notes that seem to be muffling out everything else, even with a heavy pour of Bookers. Makes it feel fairly rummy.

So what do you guys do for sweetener in an old fashioned? Standard sugar cube, bought simple syrup, white sugar, cane sugar, demerara, etc?

Cheers.

Connoisseur

Re: Whats your simple syrup recipe?

I buy Stirrings SS. My wife uses it for cooking, too. I tried making my own, but I do the dishes, and that meant I had to clean up whenever I made a batch. In short, buying SS means I avoid pan cleaning, watching the heat, cleaning dirty containers, filling clean containers, finding clean containers, getting organized, measuring, etc., . . .

That said, for Old Fashioneds, I use one cube of Gilway's Demerara dissolved in 2 oz. of (some kind of) whiskey (but not a rye). I let it sit about five minutes before stirring so the cube breaks down. One of those tiny battery operated whisks used to produce foam in coffees works when I'm exceptionally lazy.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I've started buying it from the local bottle shop now - about $5 for a 750ml bottle. The main advantage is it has preservatives in it that stop it going off. Previous batches of simple syrup made at 1:1 tend to only last a couple of weeks in the fridge before mold starts growing.
    Having said that, I always use a single sugar cube for my Old Fashioned cocktails, soak it in bitters, add a splash of water and muddle it with a piece of orange peel.

Novice

Right now I have a 2:1 turbinado (is that the same as Demerara just bigger crystals maybe?) syrup in the fridge, but I too find the molassesy notes can overpower. I always do a 2:1 ratio, keep in the fridge, and add a splash of vodka to my syrup because all are supposed to keep it from spoiling for longer. Never had a batch go off before it was used up that way. I'm learning I like just plain white sugar as the base though, after trying all sorts of brown/raw sugar, honey, maple syrup, agave, etc. alternatives.

Enthusiast

I use the 1:1 ratio syrup. I still think that it remains the standard for what bartenders call "simple syrup". The 2:1 ratio syrup is fine as long as cocktail recipes specify the variation.
    SCOTT: I found this on Ganymede.
    TOMAR: What is it?
    SCOTT: Well, it's um... It's
    green.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    Previous batches of simple syrup made at 1:1 tend to only last a couple of weeks in the fridge before mold starts growing.
    I'll never understand why so many people have had their simple syrup go bad so rapidly. Mine usually lasts longer than six months. Keep in mind, I thoroughly heat the sugar/water solution and also disinfect the container in the dishwasher then rinse it with vodka before filling. I've been doing that for years now and haven't experienced any of the typical mold problems often reported.
    green.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I follow all of those steps, except rinsing the bottle in vodka... who knows, that could be the secret In saying that, I'm not the only one in my area that has the problem. It could be because where we are here (in Australia) is sub-tropical. I'm guessing the heat and humidity could be a factor.... as we tend to make simple syrup for use mainly in the warmer months.

Enthusiast

If you have better success with richer syrup, camduncan, by all means make that instead. You could exclude a small measure of the water beforehand and replace it with the same amount of vodka (the highest proof you can find) after the solution has fully cooled. You could also sterilize the container in boiling water if it's made of glass since the dishwasher really only sanitizes. In addition, a refrigerator thermometer is handy at setting its temperature to just a few degrees above freezing (35F or 1.7C).
    green.

Connoisseur

I dissolve Demarara in water (60/40) over heat, then add a bit of vodka, and keep it in a plastic squirt bottle in the fridge.
    Never had a batch go bad. It is a bit more "caramel-ly" than cane sugar, but I like it that way.
    Occasionally, I will revert back to a bitters-soaked cube, when I'm not feeling lazy.
    "You Can't Buy Happiness, but you can buy Whiskey!"

Enthusiast

Plus, I always stick with pure cane sugar (such as the familiar Domino brand) when making simple syrup. Sugars with more molasses like demerara and turbinado have their uses, but the purist in me wouldn't enjoy an Aviation, Daiquiri, Cosmopolitan, Sidecar, etc. made with either of them.
    Last edited by ToEOrNotToE; 03-23-2015 at 14:15.
    green.