Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: &%#@ Wax Seals

Advanced Taster

&%#@ Wax Seals

I tried searching and didn't see any posts about this, sorry if its been done before but.. I just spent 20 minutes trying to open a bottle of Willett Single Barrel Family Estate, tht included slicing my hand open. I know it looks nice but what a pain in the ass! It should be easier to open a bottle of bourbon. Those wax seals can really drive me insane!

Advanced Taster

Re: &%#@ Wax Seals

Do the Willett bottles have a little tab to pull? I've added a pair of pliers to my bar equipment just to open bottles of Knob Creek. The miniature wax sealed bottles are particularly obnoxious.

Advanced Taster

They do but some of them are waxed over and very hard. I tried pliers but the tab broke off. At least the bourbon was excellent once I did get it open

Guru

That wax on the Willett bottles truly is the worst. Never had one open easily.

Connoisseur

As an astute member of the whiskey community has shared, temper the wax seal with some warm water. Much easier to remove either with the "rip cord" or by cutting with a knife. When using a knife, cut away from your hand!
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Virtuoso

There was a run of ETL a few years ago that had gold wax and was actually worse than the Willett epoxy....err...wax.

Connoisseur

The absolute worst are the blue wax A.H. Hirsch 20 year capsules! After opening one of those I just think, "Why do I even bother?"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by VAGentleman View Post
    I tried searching and didn't see any posts about this, sorry if its been done before but.. I just spent 20 minutes trying to open a bottle of Willett Single Barrel Family Estate, tht included slicing my hand open. I know it looks nice but what a pain in the ass! It should be easier to open a bottle of bourbon. Those wax seals can really drive me insane!
    Agreed. Plus, trips to the emergency room are much easier to deal with if you had the bottle open beforehand!

Guru

I refuse to open one of those when I'm in a good mood. They're like the child proof tops that only a child can open.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    The absolute worst are the blue wax A.H. Hirsch 20 year capsules! After opening one of those I just think, "Why do I even bother?"
    First world problem right there.