Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Disciple

Is this Old Charter 10 a UD bottle or BT?

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    Also, a note on glass: You have an anchor bottle. Anchor glass almost always bears a 42, which is simply some internal code they use, and then the year. 1998, would be 98. At the very latest this was bottled in 1999 sometime. I don't know if UD was even using a printed Julian code at that time, and glass is the best way to tell (other than UPC). I'd bet your bottle has an anchor symbol somewhere on it.
    The printed code is from Anchor. If you look at a bottle of Blanton's it'll have two codes, the BT bottling date and a code from Anchor that matches the date stamp in the glass. Other Anchor bottles have the printed date as well.

It's mighty nice of them to do... Wish other bottle makers would follow their lead.
    Jim

Virtuoso

Re: Is this Old Charter 10 a UD bottle or BT?

rightrightright, on the bottom, in black letters, almost impossible to read until all the bourbon is DRANK. I almost forgot.

EDIT:: and by the way, either Anchor doesn't make for BT (or must anyone else for that matter) anymore, or Anchor quit with the date stamping. I've been out of the bourbon business for a few seconds, so I probably missed a few other things in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Guru

What about the underscored 09 on a bottle of ETL?

Virtuoso

yeah, I know what you're talking about. NOT a date, unfortunately. look for a black letter chain if one is possible. ETL bottles, as well as some of the bottles that Weller Centennial and Old Charter BHC went into, were produced by someone else.

Clyde Forth Packaging Co Ltd made the original dimpled bottles for cent, and the design stayed the same (more or less) for Proprietors reserve and Elmer T. Lee. Assume it's the same producer. if so, no date stamp in glass. However (I'm looking at an empty Lville cent that has been, sadly, empty for years), there is a chain of whitish almost invisible letters right below the UPC label on the back.
    Last edited by ErichPryde; 01-29-2013 at 17:21.
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Guru

One more question and I'll stop hijacking the thread. I have a bottle of OWA 7 yr. With the anchor and then 42 28 and G2 or 07. The last 2 are not as well defined. So is it probably from '02 or '07?
    Last edited by smknjoe; 01-29-2013 at 17:28.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    One more question and I'll stop highjacking the thread. I have a bottle of OWA 7 yr. With the anchor and then 42 28 and G2 or 07. The last 2 are not as well defined. So is it probably from '02 or '07?
    On the bottle I have the date is opposite the anchor. It's an 08 bottle.
    Jim

Virtuoso

probably 07. if it's a OWA 107, it's also going to have some black lettering somewhere on the bottom that will have a julian day of the year code followed by a year. holdit up to a strong light source and look through the bottom of it.

Anchor had that issue with their date punch off and on. it's just like minting a coin, eventually whatever presses the date into the hot glass gets all gummed up and doesn't imprint as well. Man, I love die and hub error coins! too bad bottles aren't worth something like that.

Guru

The amount of whisgeekery on this thread is dizzying... Love it!!!

Edit: I have nothing else useful to contribute - carry on as you were.

:-)
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

One thing I noticed is the 10 year bottle in the picture has a label that is not exactly the same as the current 10 year old. The current 10 year label looks a lot like the 8 year in the picture. The question of how is it; well I've tried non-dusty 10 year old. It's ok, nothing wrong with it. No big adjectives jump out at me. A friend of mine described the 8 year old as like JD without the burn.

Connoisseur

I drank oc a lot back in the late 90s. That sir is fine bourbon.