Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Is this Old Charter 10 a UD bottle or BT?

Quote Originally Posted by SFS View Post
    Here's a picture. The bottle on the right is just for comparison purposes. I bought the one on the left.
    Fucking simple. The label says "Louisville" UDV. "Frankfort" BT.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Enthusiast

Wow, that really is simple. Especially if you somehow know that Louisville equals UDV. And that Frankfort doesn't. And where the Bernheim fits in.

Thanks. Now I know.

And am not likely to forget.

Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    Fucking simple. The label says "Louisville" UDV. "Frankfort" BT.
    Timothy chill a little
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Guru

Sooo, did you ever try it? I saw a bunch of dusty bottles of it today, but it was BT. I guess it was just a dirty store!

Enthusiast

Haven't cracked it yet. Will report when I do.

Enthusiast

Am drinking this now, and it's really nice. Sweet on the nose, with a little alcohol (it's only 86 proof). Entry is sweet, with vague hints of cherry and butterscotch (though I had the 08 OFBB earlier, so I may be dreaming the butterscotch). Mid palate, the sweet moderates just a little. Nothing overly complex, in either the linear or layered sense, but the finish is relatively long, with absolutely no burn, and a nice simple balance. I use the word balance in a couple of different ways, and both apply here- the flavors that are there are constant, and the amplitude of the experience is constant. This is a wonderful pour, and I'll be having another.

I will also be on the lookout for other examples of this. I wish I could decide what the date stamp really says on the bottom of the bottle. It could be 96, or 98, or 99. The bottle must not have released from the mold cleanly.

Enthusiast

Am drinking this now, and it's really nice. Sweet on the nose, with a little alcohol (it's only 86 proof). Entry is sweet, with vague hints of cherry and butterscotch (though I had the 08 OFBB earlier, so I may be dreaming the butterscotch). Mid palate, the sweet moderates just a little. Nothing overly complex, in either the linear or layered sense, but the finish is relatively long, with absolutely no burn, and a nice simple balance. I use the word balance in a couple of different ways, and both apply here- the flavors that are there are constant, and the amplitude of the experience is constant. This is a wonderful pour, and I'll be having another.

I will also be on the lookout for other examples of this. I wish I could decide what the date stamp really says on the bottom of the bottle. It could be 96, or 98, or 99. The bottle must not have released from the mold cleanly.
    Ray - It's been a pleasure to follow your dusty adventures and your tasting notes.
    Jon

Guru

I have some of the Old Charter Classic 90 12yr. that sounds pretty close. It's a sweet and easy drinker. No burn at all.

Enthusiast

Thank you kindly, sir. I'm on my second pour of this, and the entry reminds me a LOT of the Very Old Wiser 18 yo (that you likely have tasted). It's not quite that sweet (what is?), but it's the same start. That of course is at 80 proof, and this has a little more heft at 86.

I'm reminded of a comment that Jim Rutledge made about drinking the 4R YL at events - it's so smooth that he has to remind himself that he is drinking, and drinking 80 proof juice at that. I could say the same about both these pours. So incredibly drinkable.

Guru

Which is a very high complement when you think about it.