Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

PA taking steps to privatize Liquor sales?

Maybe we will be out of the dark ages?

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...188911291.html

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: PA taking steps to privatize Liquor sales?

If you live in Pennsylvania and support privatization, this is one of those times when you should let your legislators know where you stand. Do it today.

Guru

Email them and tell your friends.

Advanced Taster

Fingers crosses....although it was stated in previous plans that the Commonwealth would still have a hand (control?) in liquor sales even if they allow liberalization of beer and wine sales....this would leave us with the same bland selection we have now but without the PA website that allows for a fighting chance of getting the few goodies (BTAC and Van Winkle) that trickle into the system.
    Rye whiskey makes the sun set faster.

Every state has a 'hand' in liquor sales in that state. Don't jump to conclusions. Most of the details probably aren't decided yet. The law has yet to be written, let alone adopted. You live in a democracy and have been given a chance to influence an important change. Don't dismiss that so easily.

Although he hasn't updated his "Why the PLCB Should Be Abolished" site since November, I'm sure Lew Bryson will have something up there soon. Lew is the Managing Editor of Whisky Advocate Magazine. He lives in Pennsylvania, as does the magazine's founder and publisher, John Hansell. Lew has been outfront on this subject for some time and his site is a good place for whiskey enthusiasts in Pennsylvania to focus their interests with a eye toward influencing this important piece of legislation.

This is your chance, Pennsylvanians. Don't squander it.
    Last edited by cowdery; 01-31-2013 at 14:05.

Advanced Taster

Lew has been posting about this on his private facebook page.

I like the move toward privatization on a philosophical level, since I don't believe the government has any business being in the liquor business. However, pragmatically, I like parts of the system in place:

* As Soad mentioned, all the BTAC, 4Roses LE, PHC, VW, and other limited products are available online first come, first serve at a reasonable price. Without this, I'm not sure how most of us here would've been able to find BTAC stuff for a good price this fall. Also, they deliver which is huge bonus for people that don't have cars or live in cities.

* The prices are held steady without "gouging" and other dishonorable practices that many private owned stores employ. There's no putting stuff behind the counters for the best customers. Also, the prices for some things are far better in PA than pretty much anywhere else.

* The website, though hard to navigate at times gives a pretty accurate account of the number of bottles at each physical store so if I wanted to get a Baby Saz, I could find which store in my county has it and go there and get it.

* Unionized jobs for people working there. All the stores are staffed by mostly local, legally documented employees that are subject to fair rules and regulations.

I do acknowledge the inconvenience of limited store hours, relative lack of selection at my local store, lack of professional knowledge on some issues, and inconvenience of not being able to buy beer, wine and liquor at the same place or in a grocery store.

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by soonami View Post

* The prices are held steady without "gouging" and other dishonorable practices that many private owned stores employ. There's no putting stuff behind the counters for the best customers. Also, the prices for some things are far better in PA than pretty much anywhere else.
    PA isn't totally immune to the special customer syndrome.

I used to buy Lot B. out of PA when it was on the standard list and an online check showed that the Chairman's Selection store in Erie showed three bottles on the shelf. Since I had never encountered online stock issues with PA stores, I headed off on the 90 mile trip to pick up my bounty. When they weren't on the shelf I asked the store manager and he was nice enough to let me know that they were being held for another customer.

Prices in PA are pretty good, especially when they close out items.

I hope this passes as it will be nice to have a privatized liquor neighbor in close proximity.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Connoisseur

Let's talk about the online releases that the state store employees know are coming and hoard the second they go on sale. Let's talk about all the times I (or my friends) have done inventory searches for bottles and find one just to call the store to find out it is "reserved" for someone. The thought that there is no hiding bottles or dishonesty in the state store system is the biggest joke I've ever heard. I am friends with several employees and I've even attended some PLCB marketing meetings and I can tell you that the rules are not followed by everyone. Yes, believe it or not, there IS corruption in government. I know this comes as a shock to some, but I am here to say I've witnessed it myself. Now, back to trying to get a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye before the PLCB employees get them all for themselves........

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    PA isn't totally immune to the special customer syndrome.

I used to buy Lot B. out of PA when it was on the standard list and an online check showed that the Chairman's Selection store in Erie showed three bottles on the shelf. Since I had never encountered online stock issues with PA stores, I headed off on the 90 mile trip to pick up my bounty. When they weren't on the shelf I asked the store manager and he was nice enough to let me know that they were being held for another customer.

Prices in PA are pretty good, especially when they close out items.

I hope this passes as it will be nice to have a privatized liquor neighbor in close proximity.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Let's talk about the online releases that the state store employees know are coming and hoard the second they go on sale. Let's talk about all the times I (or my friends) have done inventory searches for bottles and find one just to call the store to find out it is "reserved" for someone. The thought that there is no hiding bottles or dishonesty in the state store system is the biggest joke I've ever heard. I am friends with several employees and I've even attended some PLCB marketing meetings and I can tell you that the rules are not followed by everyone. Yes, believe it or not, there IS corruption in government. I know this comes as a shock to some, but I am here to say I've witnessed it myself. Now, back to trying to get a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye before the PLCB employees get them all for themselves........
    Monty County, MD reserves bottles not only for "good" customers but also for bars in DC that mark them up 15-20 fold. You've got to crack the inner circle to get the good stuff, same as the rest of the world. It just hurts to see bottles in DC that came from a few miles away, thanks to a handshake deal.

I would just hate to see people use their very appropriate skepticism as an excuse to take no action on behalf of advocating the change they want to occur. It doesn't take very much effort to contact your legislators. You don't need to give them a long rationale, just direct them to vote yes. And urge your friends to do the same. You know the vested interests will do their best to retain the status quo. You need to stand up, stand up. Stand up for your rights.