Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Taster

Re: PA taking steps to privatize Liquor sales?

Joe is probably right. Not holding my breath.

The online store has clear merit, the brick and mortar stores plain suck. Those of us in SE PA near NJ, DE, MD get to enjoy the best of both worlds. Just wish stores in other states could ship to us.

Connoisseur

The culture has been stuck in the Prohibition era for so long in Pennsylvania, that what is popular in other parts of the nation, either never even become popular in PA or take years for it to catch on here. I've found people from around here have no clue what REAL selection is, what a REAL liquor store looks like, and what REAL knowledgeable employees are like. Pennsylvanians have been so brainwashed by the state stores that they know nothing else and this chance for changes scares them. I think enough have woken up and crossed the borders and found the treasure that lies in non state store states and realized it's time to throw out an antique system. CEO Joe Conti just quit- kinda' ominous don't you think? I supposed even he saw the writing on the wall....
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    How many years have I heard that the PALCB was going to privatize. Thornberg tried it. Others have tried it. It's all bullshit and we'll remain with what we have.
    Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    While no one should underestimate the ability of the government to fuck this up
    Given the political realities of the Commonwealth, if Corbett says "jump", the legislature asks "how high?". The legislature over the past few years have spearheaded the change with Corbett being noncommittal to the idea. Now that Corbett has come out in favor of privatization it WILL happen but, as Chuck stated, it's not time to party in the streets until we see the true nature of the change.
    Rye whiskey makes the sun set faster.

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by soonami View Post

* The prices are held steady without "gouging" and other dishonorable practices that many private owned stores employ. There's no putting stuff behind the counters for the best customers. Also, the prices for some things are far better in PA than pretty much anywhere else.
    PA isn't totally immune to the special customer syndrome.

I used to buy Lot B. out of PA when it was on the standard list and an online check showed that the Chairman's Selection store in Erie showed three bottles on the shelf. Since I had never encountered online stock issues with PA stores, I headed off on the 90 mile trip to pick up my bounty. When they weren't on the shelf I asked the store manager and he was nice enough to let me know that they were being held for another customer.

Prices in PA are pretty good, especially when they close out items.

I hope this passes as it will be nice to have a privatized liquor neighbor in close proximity.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Connoisseur

Let's talk about the online releases that the state store employees know are coming and hoard the second they go on sale. Let's talk about all the times I (or my friends) have done inventory searches for bottles and find one just to call the store to find out it is "reserved" for someone. The thought that there is no hiding bottles or dishonesty in the state store system is the biggest joke I've ever heard. I am friends with several employees and I've even attended some PLCB marketing meetings and I can tell you that the rules are not followed by everyone. Yes, believe it or not, there IS corruption in government. I know this comes as a shock to some, but I am here to say I've witnessed it myself. Now, back to trying to get a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye before the PLCB employees get them all for themselves........

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    PA isn't totally immune to the special customer syndrome.

I used to buy Lot B. out of PA when it was on the standard list and an online check showed that the Chairman's Selection store in Erie showed three bottles on the shelf. Since I had never encountered online stock issues with PA stores, I headed off on the 90 mile trip to pick up my bounty. When they weren't on the shelf I asked the store manager and he was nice enough to let me know that they were being held for another customer.

Prices in PA are pretty good, especially when they close out items.

I hope this passes as it will be nice to have a privatized liquor neighbor in close proximity.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Let's talk about the online releases that the state store employees know are coming and hoard the second they go on sale. Let's talk about all the times I (or my friends) have done inventory searches for bottles and find one just to call the store to find out it is "reserved" for someone. The thought that there is no hiding bottles or dishonesty in the state store system is the biggest joke I've ever heard. I am friends with several employees and I've even attended some PLCB marketing meetings and I can tell you that the rules are not followed by everyone. Yes, believe it or not, there IS corruption in government. I know this comes as a shock to some, but I am here to say I've witnessed it myself. Now, back to trying to get a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye before the PLCB employees get them all for themselves........
    Monty County, MD reserves bottles not only for "good" customers but also for bars in DC that mark them up 15-20 fold. You've got to crack the inner circle to get the good stuff, same as the rest of the world. It just hurts to see bottles in DC that came from a few miles away, thanks to a handshake deal.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I would just hate to see people use their very appropriate skepticism as an excuse to take no action on behalf of advocating the change they want to occur. It doesn't take very much effort to contact your legislators. You don't need to give them a long rationale, just direct them to vote yes. And urge your friends to do the same. You know the vested interests will do their best to retain the status quo. You need to stand up, stand up. Stand up for your rights.

Connoisseur

I've been writing letters already. So if this doesn't happen, don't blame me for inaction or pessimism....

Advanced Taster

Not to derail the thread - privatization will work out much better for beer and wine than for liquor - but I am writing all your names down on a list so I know who to shake my fist at when I don't get my allocation of Pappy and BTAC.