Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendatons

Connoisseur

Re: Recommendatons

For Highland, I'd go for an Aberfeldy 12 and for Islay, a Bunnahabhain 12, both are very approachable drams for around 40 bucks a bottle. The Aberfeldy is unremarkable next to the Blair Athols and Glen Gariochs of the Highland world, but an amazing value at the price point. The Bunnahabhain is one of my favorite Islay pours, it cheaper than its neighbors, and a more approachable starting point for someone who isn't that familiar with the smoky ways of Islay. If he loves the peat smoke then Laph10 by all means, but for some who are just starting out the Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin trio might be a bit much.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Start him with the McClelland line, where he can get both a Highland and a Speyside for about that price.
    I don't know if that's a good suggestion. I feel like it's telling someone new to bourbon to try Ancient Age and Old Crow to see if they like high or low rye bourbon.

Guru

soonami I'd rank Glen Garioch a little higher than AA or OC.

Advanced Taster

soonami I'd rank Glen Garioch a little higher than AA or OC.
    Glen Garioch is definitely a different product than the McClelland line you pointed out, which I take to mean these: https://www.google.com/search?q=McCl...w=1680&bih=885

Guru

Glen Garioch is the single McCleland uses for their Highland Malt series. I've forgotten which one they use for their Islay single but there are only a handful of distillerys on the Island so the list is pretty small.

Taster

Many excellent recommendations. A couple of lower cost drams that I keep in my regular rotation not mentioned yet are Glengoyne 10 and Johnnie Walker Black.

The Glengoyne is only $39 where I am, and I've really been enjoying it lately. I like the Old Puteney 12 and Aberfeldy 12 as mentioned earlier (and both are about $39), but the Glengoyne just disappears faster. It's a light, fruity Highland that is dangerously drinkable.

And I'll always have the JWB on the shelf. Every time I go back to it, I'm amazed at how much I like it - and I can pick it up for $26 most days.

(And I will echo the praises of Admore Traditional Cask - reg price at Binny's is $29 which is way undervalued for what you get - but don't say that too loud.)
    <"}}}}}}}><

Rich

Disciple

Recommendatons

Glen Garioch is the single McCleland uses for their Highland Malt series. I've forgotten which one they use for their Islay single but there are only a handful of distillerys on the Island so the list is pretty small.
    The Islay is Bowmore. The Lowland is Auchentoshan. Not sure about the Speyside. All are about five years old. I find them to be of a higher class than the bottom shelf, they're worth the asking price and they're a decent introduction to the styles they represent.
    Jim

Guru

I believe you're correct Jim although I think the ages are closer to seven years, or were when my friends and I regularly drank the line a decade or so back.

Taster

Of course I meant Laphroaig 10. I just got me L's mixed up. Thanks for showing me the error of my way.

Obrene

Connoisseur

Aberlour or Balvenie would be my choices.