Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Apprentice

Howdy From Texas

Another newbie from Texas. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading and learning about bourbon on the forum, and look forward to participating and learning more. Cheers!

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Howdy From Texas

Welcome aboard, Aaron! Glad you made it. I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here, and I look forward to following your trip through Bourbonia.

JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Morning amftx, look forward to your participation, welcome aboard. Drop by the chatroom some evening and introduce yourself, the icon in on the lower left corner of your screen.

Apprentice

Thank you gentlemen and thanks again for your help, Joe.

A little about my adventure so far:

I started with Maker's mark, at least I consider that my start since it was the first bourbon or whiskey that I drank on the rocks. From there I started branching out with Makers 46, Bulleit, Woodford, Baker's, Booker's, EC12, BH, and so on. It's been an interesting journey and I have to admit I definitely wag more than I bark. I doubt I'll ever post any tastings or intense details. I may never have the palate for such delicate and detailed things. I know I like bourbon and learning about it.

Currently open on my bar:
    Col. E.H. Taylor Single Barrel
    Four Roses Single Barrel
    Willet Estate 5 Year Rye
    VW 12 Lot B
    Eagle Rare 10
    Rowans Creek
    BMH (orange label)
    W.L. Weller 12

Unopened:
    BMH 16
    BMH (orange)
    Noah's Mill
    Four Roses LE Small Batch 2012

I enjoy sweeter whiskeys. I'm not a fan of scotch because of the peat flavor. To me scotch tastes like I just put a hand full of wet moss in my mouth.

I am an IT guy, and I live and work in the Houston area. That's about it for now. Cheers.
    Last edited by amftx; 02-26-2013 at 10:15.

Guru

Howdy From Texas

Welcome to SB from a former resident of Tejas.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Welcome aboard. Several of us are from around Houston including myself. We just had a little meet up last Sat. at Poison Girl for a drink. FYI - PG has the best selection of bourbon in town, so if there is ever a bottle you are considering purchasing, likely you can stop by there and try it 1st.

From your list looks like you have been at Specs and listened to their salespeople. I say this because you many KBD branded or bottled bourbons (Willet, Rowans, Noah's, BMH) and they have the exclusive on this in town. So they promote this line and often run Spec Key discounts on this. I would suggest buying a bottle of Weller to try, either the 12 or OWA; I'd think you would probably like these.

Also, not all scotches are peated; many have no peat. But this is a bourbon forum so I'll stay with that.

Apprentice

Thanks Wadewood. I forgot to list the WL Weller 12 open on my bar and I am enjoying it. I learned about that one via this forum. I have been a regular at Specs but I hit many smaller retailers as well, and I don't listen to salespeople much. I am only now learning about the different distilleries (or should I say lack thereof), brands, and sources. Four Roses varieties have been my favorites since I tried some over at Downing Street.

I just read the PG thread and may have missed the group by a couple of hours. I stopped by on my way home from the cookoff. That was my third time at Poison Girl and it never disappoints. I also plan on visiting Reserve 101 soon for some more tasting.

My focus lately has been just trying to discern the flavor profiles of wheat vs. rye vs. corn and I believe i'm starting to get it. At least I hope so... I suppose I'll have to consume more to find out. Darn...

Guru

Welcome fellow nerd!

Connoisseur

Howdy, fellow Texan! Not to get off topic, but there are a ton of non-peated Scotches. I'd bet there are a few you would like..maybe not though. I used to be all Scotch and have gradually moved to Bourbon and Rye, mainly because of price. There are still some Single Malts that are my favorite whisk(e)ys period. However when I went to Spec's the other day and was looking at $50-$65 for the Scotch I had intended to get..ended up getting the $20 Old Grand Dad 114. BTW, If you have not had that I would highly recommend it! Not all Spec's have it, but I know the Bay Area Blvd/El Camino store has it as well as the Downtown store, of course.