Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Whisky Storage Temperature?

Hi, everyone,

We like to keep our home cool (64-68F) and comfortably humid (45-50%).

Presently, I'm keeping some of our whisky stored upright in a basement closet. The temperature in the closet is a few degrees cooler than the room at (55-56F).

At this temperature range of 55F-60F, the whisky is fine, correct? I've read that wine storage is around this temperature, so I figure it's OK.

Thanks!

DW

Connoisseur

Re: Whisky Storage Temperature?

I don't see any problems with cool temps. I store mine upright in cardboard boxes in my wine cellar. Temp is around 57 with humidity 70%+.

If anything, the high humidity helps keep the corks in good shape.

Guru

Those conditions are fine DW, whisky is very stable and not subject to change after it's bottled. It actually does not need the same care as wine and should do fine in an indoor closet.

Connoisseur

Whiskey is pretty tolerant. I store mine between 65-85 degrees (We keep our house cool in the winter and warm in the summer to save on oil and electric.) and it's never had an issue.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Whiskey is pretty tolerant. I store mine between 65-85 degrees (We keep our house cool in the winter and warm in the summer to save on oil and electric.) and it's never had an issue.
    Thanks, everyone. Yeah, we keep it cool during our Canadian winter and the same in summer (with about the same humidity level).

The bunker is expanding with recent acquisitions, so I was forced to begin storing in this previously mentioned closet.

Cheers,
    DW

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by DW2012 View Post
    Thanks, everyone. Yeah, we keep it cool during our Canadian winter and the same in summer (with about the same humidity level).

The bunker is expanding with recent acquisitions, so I was forced to begin storing in this previously mentioned closet.

Cheers,
    DW
    I'm currently having the same problem (First world problem?). Primary storage is full, so everything else goes into a back hall/stairway at the moment. It's normally closed off and never really used, so it can get down into the 40's in the winter, probably pushin 90+ in the summer. Haven't noticed any i'll effects this winter so far. Everything is still tasty, and comes pre-chilled If i'm grabbing anything out there for cocktails.

~SW

Guru

Ah yes, the seasonal refrigerator. Guys I doubt a range of 40 to 90 degrees would do any harm, I kept cases of whisky in a closet in my closed garage for decades without any noticeable shift in the quality of the whisky.

Disciple

I have only seen one adverse effect and this was due to extreme heat,whereas a Willett that was in my vehicle during the summer for several hours cracked its wax and the cork had shifted upwards.I brought this bottle inside to cool and moisture began form on the inside neck area of the bottle,I opened it several weeks later because of the moisture concern which never dissipated and the cork had started to mold.The whiskey inside was fine and I did switch corks,these are truly extreme conditions but heat more than cold would be my fear.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Advanced Taster

Yes heat would be my biggest fear. I'm in central Fla and anything outside or non air conditioned just scares me with corks. Screw caps, no problem even in 90+ degree heat

Guru

I forget to add all my corked bottles were kept inside in my wine cellar, which was not actually a cellar, rather a walk in panty off my kitchen.