Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What to Buy? Rank Em..

Are Old Forester 100 and Old Forester Signature the same bourbons? I've not seen either in my area, and both terms are being used in this thread.

Disciple

What to Buy? Rank Em..

Quote Originally Posted by SFS View Post
    Are Old Forester 100 and Old Forester Signature the same bourbons? I've not seen either in my area, and both terms are being used in this thread.
    There is no "Old Forester 100" as such. Its name is Old Forester Signature. There used to be an Old Forester BIB and this bottle replaced it.
    Jim

Guru

Upon reflection Max I think you should buy all four and invite me over for a second opinion.

Virtuoso

As usual, I can't disagree with Squire's sage advice.

I didn't really touch on the "and why" part of the question earlier. Here's my justification: OGD 114 over OGD BiB because while they're similar, the BiB lacks the depth and balance of the 114. If you bring the 114 down to 100 proof it will still win over the BiB in my book (I've done this with multiple bottles). The BiB tastes a little younger to me, too. I'm sure the 114 has it's share of young whiskey in the vatting, but there is obviously a good amount of older stock too. I only buy the BiB when I can't find 114.

Old Forester I did justify based on my recent experiences. I like Old Fitz well enough as a change of pace but if I had to choose between it and Forester I would choose Forester.

But at the price point, one need not agonize over the decision.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Advanced Taster

I'm going to add to the enthusiasm for Old Forester Signature and OGD 114. I buy plenty of bourbon under $20, and those are two that I always have open.

Of course Squire is right, though. You're going to spend that money on bourbon anyways, so you might as well save a trip to the store.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    As usual, I can't disagree with Squire's sage advice.

I didn't really touch on the "and why" part of the question earlier. Here's my justification: OGD 114 over OGD BiB because while they're similar, the BiB lacks the depth and balance of the 114. If you bring the 114 down to 100 proof it will still win over the BiB in my book (I've done this with multiple bottles). The BiB tastes a little younger to me, too. I'm sure the 114 has it's share of young whiskey in the vatting, but there is obviously a good amount of older stock too. I only buy the BiB when I can't find 114.

Old Forester I did justify based on my recent experiences. I like Old Fitz well enough as a change of pace but if I had to choose between it and Forester I would choose Forester.

But at the price point, one need not agonize over the decision.
    Definitely agree with this. None of these are bad... but OGD 114 would be the top of my list, and Old Fitz would be on the bottom, even though I enjoy it for what it is. Like Brisko alluded to, at this price, you can't go wrong buying each of these and trying for yourself.

Taster

1. Old Grand Dad 114 - One of my favorites. I always have one on hand.
    2. Old Fitzgerald 100 -

Personally I'd take W.L. Weller 107 Antique over all but the OGD 114 at the $20.00 and under price point. Actually I can't even get OGD 114 for under $20.00 here, but i can find the WLW 107 for $19.99.

~SW

Enthusiast

I always have both OGD 80° and 114° at hand, and some WT. I usually like to buy high proof stuff, but it is not always easy to get in Germany.
    "With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue, you get nothin' done"

Disciple

OGD114 wins by a long shot, with OGDBIB in 2nd by a long shot.

Guru

So Grand Dad is available in Germany, eh? I'm heartened to see a respected member of the European Community recognize the World Class status of Old Grand Dad.