Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: ri1 is still in production

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Funny you should say that, I saw some at bargain basement prices in Indiana last time I was there, $10 cheaper than the usual. Almost bought some.
    Hard to argue with a nice closeout price sometimes. I don't find those kinds of deals very often but when I do I always end up buying too much.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    Wasn't there supposed to be a Rye 2 and Rye 3?
    I had heard that too but it never materialized.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I didn't care for it at first (and I HATE the bottle itself) but in a blind tasting recently it was actually better than I had remembered it to be. Try a blind tasting and see what you think.
    had it twice and was not a fan, i may have to try it blind as you suggest. not horrid, but i thought meh...

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

"meh" is fair, especially if your idea of great rye is the more flavor the better. It's milder, arguably better-balanced, and I find it goes down pretty easily. I like it in all of its iterations. Which are: Old Overholt, Jim Beam Rye, Knob Creek Rye, (ri)1. I probably like the Knob Rye best, then (ri)1.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    The only thing wrong with (ri)1 is the name and price. It's a perfectly good Beam-recipe rye.
    I agree with you 100% on this one. As someone else has said "There is no bad whiskey, there is only over priced whiskey"
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Guru

Over packaged, over hyped, overpriced.

Connoisseur

Just had some Knob Creek Rye a few minutes ago. Never had the Ri1. Sounds too much like high school science stuff....
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by humchan2k View Post
    The biggest question is - why? R1 is horrid stuff.
    Completely disagree with this. I'm very fond of Ri1....mostly for sentimental reasons. When we were sampling bourbons at a bar, a friend suggested that I try rye whiskey, and this was the best this bar had in the house. So, Ri1 was my first introduction to rye. Granted, I've tried several ryes that I like better (Handy, Rittenhouse, Sazerac), but I still really enjoy this whiskey. With the Knob Creek rye coming out, I'm surprised they still make it, but I ain't complaining!!!!

Guru

Apparently Beam has determined there is a marketing niche for these lighter styles, after all, Canadian whiskys sell very well here.

Connoisseur

There is enormous difference in price of this whiskey in the Columbia area. I can find it from $22 to $50. All in all, it doesn't sell well here. In one store I frequent, I mentioned that I had heard it had been discontinued and the next week it was 50% off and still hasn't sold. I tried it at the Beer, Bourbon, and BBQ festival. Wasn't impressed so I haven't bought it at even $22.