Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: MM Proof Change

Enthusiast

Re: MM Proof Change

Don't mess with the product - even if demand outstrips supply! Better to keep status quo and reap the future rewards from high demand or increase the price slightly, but don't mess with product quality!

The enthusiasts will notice and many will stop buying - no big deal. BUT, if the average Joe consumer notices they are doomed.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Assuming all this will happen, another option was, keep the brand, and price, as they are and leave the demand unsatisfied until they can satisfy it in the normal way (by passage of time).

While I rarely buy the brand since in my opinion it is not what it was 20 and 30 years ago, this will give me even less reason to buy it. Disappointing.

Gary

JD went from 90 proof to 86 then to 80 and it hasn't hurt their sales. I doubt the sales of MM will be hurt. The regular consumer won't notice or really care.

Enthusiast

I don't drink it or buy it, so I have to ask -is it currently at 90 proof? The pictures on the website aren't the greatest. (That's code for my eyes are getting old.)

Virtuoso

I'm not a big fan of MM, but I definitely won't be buying any now.

Advanced Taster

Yeah, it's currently 90. I usually keep a bottle around, mostly for guests who are casual bourbon drinkers. And I thought it was overpriced at 90 proof...

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by SFS View Post
    I don't drink it or buy it, so I have to ask -is it currently at 90 proof? The pictures on the website aren't the greatest. (That's code for my eyes are getting old.)
    Yes it is currently 90 proof. I guess I will have to buy a few bottles to have around.

Best regards, Tony

Connoisseur

Do you think they will do a special waxing for the change in proof?

Virtuoso

I can't say it affects me because I never buy it, but I'm a lot less likely to buy it at a lower proof. On the other hand, I really like Maker's 46 and as long as they keep it at 94 proof I will buy it when it's on sale.

You guys missed the blindingly obvious third option: buy some wheated bourbon from HH or BT. It's not like their flavor profile is that special, I'm sure that the "regular consumer" wouldn't have noticed that either. Hell, if they filled it out with BT juice it would probably improve it. I suppose adding more water is cheaper, though.

I have to add, I'm a little surprised they'd go that route. Beam had a similar situation with Knob Creek and they just rode it out. In fact, they turned it into a (IMO) successful ad campaign.
    Last edited by Brisko; 02-08-2013 at 11:37.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by NeoTexan View Post
    I have received some PM's in regards to some rumors regarding MM so I thought I would make this post and set things straight.

In the near future MM will be distributing it's bourbon at 84 proof.

This decision was made due to the demand for MM outstripping the production. For a couple of months MM has been struggling with how to handle the increased demand. As you know, the bourbon being put into bottles now was produced about six years ago and although the production at that time was increased, it still has not keep up with the increase in demand. Testing was done to see if bottling at a younger age would cure some of these growing pains but it was discarded because the taste profile was not up to MM standards. Additional consumer testing showed that reducing the proof did not affect the profile (other than less alcohol burn) and allowed for a greater number of bottles to be filled per barrel.

In conclusion, it was a decision between reducing the proof or not having enough product for the shelves.
    Dale, will there be any change to MM46?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama