Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: MM Proof Change

Guru

Re: MM Proof Change

In case you dusty hunters run across one (they made alot) Makers 101 has a gold wax cap instead of the standard red. In fact we called it Gold Makers. If you walked into one of our local liquor stores in say, 1980, and asked if they had Makers Mark they might reply with "do you want the red or the gold".

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by petrel800 View Post
    Do you think they will do a special waxing for the change in proof?
    Aw heck, why not?
    ovh

Guru

Don't hold your breath for that one.

Guru

As to whether the shortage is real, it's impossible to know one way or another without looking at the numbers ourselves. Some people seem to be assuming the worst just because it's Beam. But if it is for money, isn't making money what they're supposed to be doing?

One thing MM may be looking at is also growth. MM can be found pretty easily everywhere, but they want to keep it that way. American whiskey is continuing to grow domestically and overseas. They may be afraid of not being able to keep up.

As I said before (or somebody else said for me) I don't buy a lot of MM so it doesn't really get me worked up. When I do, it's at a bar or in the summer time to have something to sip after yardwork or while reading a book on the patio.

As for the tap water business, Randy, didn't they try to do that? Wasn't there a Weller Water at one time?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Come to think of it there was a Jack Daniels bottled water at one time.

Guru

It's not just MM, it seems like most bourbons are to young now.
    All these new special releases are just over priced average whiskey.
    ovh

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Everything they're saying is true. It's what they're not saying that is interesting.

Beam bought Maker's in 2005. In the package was an expansion plan, ready to go. Allied Domeq was about to pull the trigger but they got bought instead. Beam did some of the preliminary work, such as enlarging Maker's lake and upgrading their spent mash handling, but they have dragged their heels on the expansion itself, which will increase capacity by about 50%. I spoke with Rob Samuels this morning and he thinks they'll start the expansion "soon," but he doesn't know, and they've been saying "soon" for the last eight years.

Their first expansion, in 1996, cost $18.5 million. I've heard numbers for this one of $30 million or more. The plan is to do exactly what they did in 1996, which is build a third distillery exactly like the two they have now. Never seen the second distillery? Me neither, but I'm told it's just behind the original one. The fermenters are all stainless steel, not cypress, but otherwise it's identical.

The expansion, when it does come, will cost millions and will take at least five years to affect supply. Cutting the proof costs nothing and increases supply immediately. No one should be shocked or appalled to discover this is a for-profit business. Maker's is all about preserving the loyalty of its rabidly loyal core customers. Dale, who started this thread, is the most loyal Maker's drinker I know. He reported this without comment. The opinions of people who never or rarely buy Maker's don't really matter. It's people like Dale who matter. Well, Dale? How do you feel about 84 proof Maker's?

Rob says they're comfortable with this change, that it's the best way to relieve some of the demand pressure, and it doesn't change the taste, which is the main thing. Is that the main thing? Or is "same as it ever was" more important? Well, Maker's fans, what do you say?
    Last edited by cowdery; 02-09-2013 at 09:55.

Enthusiast

Just got the following e-mail:

Dear Maker’s MarkŪ Ambassador,

Lately we’ve been hearing from many of you that you’ve been having difficulty finding Maker’s Mark in your local stores. Fact is, demand for our bourbon is exceeding our ability to make it, which means we’re running very low on supply. We never imagined that the entire bourbon category would explode as it has over the past few years, nor that demand for Maker’s Mark would grow even faster.

We wanted you to be the first to know that, after looking at all possible solutions, we’ve worked carefully to reduce the alcohol by volume (ABV) by just 3%. This will enable us to maintain the same taste profile and increase our limited supply so there is enough Maker’s Mark to go around, while we continue to expand the distillery and increase our production capacity.

We have both tasted it extensively, and it’s completely consistent with the taste profile our founder/dad/grandfather, Bill Samuels, Sr., created nearly 60 years ago. We’ve also done extensive testing with Maker’s Mark drinkers, and they couldn’t tell a difference.

Nothing about how we handcraft Maker’s Mark has changed, from the use of locally sourced soft red winter wheat as the flavor grain, to aging the whisky to taste in air-dried American white oak barrels, to rotating our barrels during maturation, to hand-dipping every bottle in our signature red wax.

In other words, we’ve made sure we didn’t screw up your whisky.

By the way, if you have any comments or questions, as always, we invite you to drop us a line at rob@makersmark.com or bill@makersmark.com. Thanks for your support. And if you’ve got a little time on your hands, come down and see us at the distillery.

Sincerely,

Rob Samuels
    Chief Operating Officer
    Ambassador-in-Chief

Guru

As others have said, not sure why they didn't just raise the price. Or I wonder if they DID try that in select markets and found that demand slumped more than they desired. True, they'll increase profit if the price is the same and they lower the proof . . . although I wonder if they're setting everyone up for a double whammy. "Oh my - demand has picked up beyond our expectations, so we're raising the price now to help"
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

The words "they couldn't tell a difference" says it all.