Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: MM Proof Change

Virtuoso

Re: MM Proof Change

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    I'd buy some just so that I could maintain my bitching rights, but I doubt I'd be able to find any.
    Could picket in front of the distillery, but Chuck does seem to have a point.

Now, when they push the laws to be changed to hide the proof...then i'll get pissed. Still have respect for Maker's as it was my first bourbon and my first distillery tour.

Guru

I'd forgotten about that Cam . . . I feel your pain brother.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by theglobalguy View Post
    Could picket in front of the distillery, but Chuck does seem to have a point.
    Nah, I really and truly do not give a rip. I don't think most people here do. Just busting some Maker's balls. I'm sure they'll get over it.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    If you haven't bought a bottle of Maker's Mark in the last 30 days, what you think doesn't matter.

And another thing.

Enough with the outrage.

Whenever one of these capitalist companies does what a good business does, the bourbon enthusiasts all turn into communists. It's spin, sure, trying to put the best face on something they know a lot of people won't like, but there is nothing immoral, unethical, dishonest, or stupid about it.
    Please note that I definitely agree with you. When I said "puts a nice shine on it..." in reference to Bill Samuels letter I meant it positively not negatively. To me this is what happens when you make a product that people want to buy and want to distribute it to an enormously large market...these companies play an amazing balancing act to put out a great product at a high volume and at a price point that sustains their companies growth over the long haul. So the fact they dropped the proof to stay in the market is what happens to get that much whiskey out there. For instance, EWB black is honestly the Holy Grail of bourbons (aside from VOB or EW White Label...or fighting cock...can you tell whose bourbon I like!?). $20 a handle where I'm at. That's outrageous. And its distributed all over the world. But it used to have an age statement (although I found a dusty old 7yr age stated and didn't think it was too different) used to be 90 proof. But its hard to do something at that high of a level and not have the forces of entropy massively at work against you. I'm still glad I can get it for the same price it used to be because to me it still tastes like Evan Williams. I think we can all agree the large majors do something quite amazing in creating a consistent product that still has artisan roots that doesn't cost an arm and a leg...makes me tear up a little with gratitude...

That being said...sometimes a little communist social anger and outrage creates a challenge that forces things to happen. Enter small artisan distillers...these folks end up pushing the majors to do things they never really would have without their presence. For instance JD's making rye whiskey for the first time ever...and is gouging people for the white dog because the little guys have created a demand for it. I think a little of both is good. With the majors though I think we should expect this sort of thing to happen. I'll still respect the people who I think do it better (ahem...HH...)

...well maybe holy grail is a little strong...I just like it i guess is the point.

End rant.
    Last edited by G-Rat; 02-09-2013 at 13:50.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Hey Josh......there is a pic posted somewhere deep on this sight of the Weller Water to add to your Weller Bourbon. I recall even seeing an ad for it in Texas Monthly a long long time ago. It might be found in a search of Texas Monthly's online records.
    No US taxpayer was harmed in the making of my Ford racecar.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I am silly and I do masturbate, so I guess I can't take too much offense at JPBoston's just-a-little-too-hostile response to my earlier post. I will point out, however, that quite a few of the posts in this thread have accused Maker's Mark of dishonesty, at least, so I stand by my critique.

To which I would add that I frequently am frustrated by people who attack people and companies and governments for the wrong things, such as in this case where the right thing to attack Beam for, assuming they sincerely regret the need to cheapen Maker's Mark, is for failing to avert the problem years ago, which they did by postponing the distillery's planned expansion for more than eight years.

I would also point out that metaphorical masturbation is never as enjoyable as the real thing.

Enthusiast

Thanks for that Cam (#80, I mean). It reminded me that perspective is everything, and different for everybody.

Enthusiast

In the long run of things, it's not the first nor will it be the last time a major whisky, even a historic one, has lowered its proof. The question is whether the proof will ever return to its old strength, which is not addressed in the Ambassadors' letter I received via email.

Jimmy Russell, by contrast, is adamant that the only reason he doesn't have a 101 rye on the shelves at the moment is because he doesn't have enough stocks that have aged to his liking for the 101 profile, and when he does it will be back. I hope the same is true eventually for Maker's, which is admittedly one of those bourbons I keep on hand because I feel my shelf is naked without it, even though I drink far more OWA.

Guru

I thought the Rye 101 was four years old, according to an interview with Mr. Russell that I read some 20 or so years back.

Virtuoso

I guess this means MM will be changing the advertising on their cases: