Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: MM Proof Change

Enthusiast

Re: MM Proof Change

I saw this linked on the MM facebook page. I wonder if this guy still works at Beam...

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/der...iskey-in-2004/

Advanced Taster

This is a response that I just received back from an email I had sent. It is obviously a canned response, but it does show that they are getting a bit of a beating from their fans:

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding our recent announcement. We always appreciate open and honest conversation about Maker’s Mark, and we’ve gotten plenty of feedback, both supportive and otherwise. In order to respond to everybody quickly, please allow me to offer several thoughts that might answer most of the questions we’re hearing.

And by the way, I asked Rob if I could write this response since many people have wondered if I’m on board with the decision to lower the alcohol-by-volume (ABV) level. I am, and here’s why.

First, it’s important to understand that our primary focus now and for the past 50 years hasn’t changed. It’s product quality and consistency, batch-to-batch, year-to-year, with the primary measure of that consistency being the unique Maker’s Mark taste profile. That’s all that truly matters in the end.

Since we’re a one-brand company that’s never purchased bourbon from other distillers when supplies are short, forecasting is very difficult. Over the years, our one variable that helps us avoid market shortages has been the age of the whisky in the Maker’s bottle. That range is between five years nine months and seven years. Because Maker’s Mark is aged to taste, Dad never put a specific age statement on the bottle. It wasn’t the age that mattered; it was the taste, the quality and the consistency.

Some people are asking why we didn’t just raise the price if demand is an issue. We don’t want to price Maker’s Mark out of reach. Dad’s intention when he created this brand was to make good-tasting bourbon accessible and to bring more fans into the fold, not to make it exclusive. And, with regard to the price, the value of Maker’s Mark isn’t set by alcohol volume. It’s about the quality of the recipe and ingredients that go into it, all the handcrafting that goes into the production and how it tastes.

Some of you have questioned how we reduce the alcohol content. The fact is, other than barrel-strength bourbons, all bourbons are cut with water to achieve the desired proof for bottling. This is a natural step in the bourbon-making process. Maker’s Mark has always been made this way and will continue to be made this way.

As we looked at potential solutions to address the shortage, we agreed again that the most important thing was whether it tastes the same. The distillery made up different batches that Rob and I tested every evening over the course of a month. Every batch at 42% ABV had the same taste profile that we’ve always had. Then, we validated our own tastings with structured consumer research and the Tasting Panel at the distillery, who all agreed: there’s no difference in the taste.

For those of you who have questioned if the supply problem is real, I can assure you that it is. While not every part of the country has seen shortages yet, many have, and the demand is continuing to grow at a pace we’ve never before experienced. While we are investing today to expand capacity for the future, by producing 42% ABV Maker’s Mark we’ll be able to better meet our ongoing supply issues without compromising the taste.

Ultimately, all I can ask is that you reserve judgment until you actually taste the whisky, like I did. If you can make it down to the distillery, we’re doing tastings every day with the 42% ABV whisky to give you a first-hand opportunity to try it for yourself. If you can’t make it to the distillery, please give it a try when it gets to your city. And please write me back at that point. I want to hear what you think.

In the meantime, I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to write. It shows that you care about Maker’s Mark, and that’s what we’ve been striving for over the past 50 years. I hope you’ll give us the chance to continue earning that devotion and allow us to prove that we didn’t screw up your whisky. All the best.

Bill Samuels, Jr.

Chairman Emeritus
    Ambassador-at-Large

Maker’s Mark Distillery
    3350 Burks Spring Road
    Loretto, KY, 40037

WE MAKE OUR BOURBON CAREFULLY. PLEASE ENJOY IT THAT WAY.
    Maker's Mark® Bourbon Whisky and Maker's 46® Bourbon Whisky. 42% and 47% ABV.
    © 2013 Maker's Mark Distillery, Inc. Loretto, KY.

Guru

In other words, we're just following orders.

Virtuoso

If MM would come out with a once a year 100+/barrel proof product, I don't think there would be this much bitching over a 3% drop in ABV in the standard product.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    If MM would come out with a once a year 100+/barrel proof product, I don't think there would be this much bitching over a 3% drop in ABV in the standard product.
    They would probably just all end up collecting dust on some shelf next to whatever year's superbowlelectionformercollegeplayer bottle of the month in some collection. Nobody would ever get to drink one.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ThirstyinOhio View Post
    WE MAKE OUR BOURBON CAREFULLY. PLEASE ENJOY IT THAT WAY.
    Maker's Mark® Bourbon Whisky and Maker's 46® Bourbon Whisky. 42% and 47% ABV.
    © 2013 Maker's Mark Distillery, Inc. Loretto, KY.
    Switch appears to have already been made.

Disciple

It's cute that the Samuels make these statements as if they have anything to do with the decision making. Hey Billy Jr., who had a great job based on who his daddy was, we know you no longer own anything, and are only a figure head, so stop saying "we" made this decision.

Enthusiast

WT is in on the piling on now.

"Less Water. More Flavor."

With a picture of 101 Bourbon. Guess they won't mention what happened to the 101 Rye...
    Last edited by jeffrey r; 02-11-2013 at 15:43.

Guru

Ha, goodness if there's anyone that has no room to say anything...

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    They would probably just all end up collecting dust on some shelf next to whatever year's superbowlelectionformercollegeplayer bottle of the month in some collection. Nobody would ever get to drink one.
    Yea........... there's that.