Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: MM Proof Change

Guru

Re: MM Proof Change

Reminds me of the fella's uncle who drowned in a vat of whisky. Took quite a while they say, he climbed out three times for a bathroom break.

Heck, I think MM 46 is okay, but maybe Makers should just call it a day with MM 46. My solution would be to get rid of MM 46, and bring back a 101 proof MM. (Regards to Gary Gillman' post.) Win-win! Yes, I realize that upping the proof on a bourbon would seemingly be counterproductive when there's a shortage of said bourbon. Still, if more of us astute and self proclaimed bourbon lovers bought and preferred a 101 proof MM, that could possibly lessen the demand somewhat for regular MM. Maybe????? C'mon folks. Go with me here. Anyway, I know at best it's all probably just a wash regardless. I also know it'a a lot of wistful, wishful thinking. I just can't help it. MM was pretty much my gateway bourbon, and although I don't drink it regularly any more, I will always have a bottle or two around just because. Sad to see it change. Oh well................(sigh)

FWIW, this pour of Larceny I'm having tonight is pretty damn tasty.

Cheers!
    Last edited by fishnbowljoe; 02-12-2013 at 15:52.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

Chalk up another credit for chuck cowdery. He was quoted in an article on Fox News.com about MM lowering there proof. Good Job Chuck!

Thomas

Connoisseur

This may really pay off. I have never seen so much reporting on Bourbon in my life....NBC News, etc.... My local store says they are selling at quite a pace over the last few days. I even thought about buying a case even though I don't really drink it much. They may be creating the shortage. I have wondered how well the 46 has been selling. Not so good around here.

Connoisseur

Is there really such a thing as a premium bourbon in the 80 proof range? I can't think of one. Chuck mentioned Jacob's Well, also 84 proof. What happened to that? Mostly, I think of the bottom shelf stuff being 80 proof. Some of it can be ok, but not premium.

Enthusiast

Wild Turkey now has a large picture on their Facebook page, with a bottle of Rare Breed and an empty glass. It says "Adding water? We'll leave that up to you."

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    Is there really such a thing as a premium bourbon in the 80 proof range? I can't think of one. Chuck mentioned Jacob's Well, also 84 proof. What happened to that? Mostly, I think of the bottom shelf stuff being 80 proof. Some of it can be ok, but not premium.
    Basil Hayden's is 80 proof, not that I'm endorsing it.

Taster

I think this is a horrible move by Makers Mark.

Guru

Fortunately Bourbon hasn't followed the World wide standard of 80 proof, yet.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Fortunately Bourbon hasn't followed the World wide standard of 80 proof, yet.
    Really?
    Two of the top 15 best selling whiskeys in the world are bourbons* - both 80 proof

*I know JD isn't "bourbon", right?