Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: MM Proof Change

Connoisseur

Re: MM Proof Change

Even Jay Leno had a joke about MM tonight (funny timing, since I haven't watched late night talk shows in years... it was just on in the background before I popped in a movie).

The punchline went something like this:

You used to have to go out to a bar to get a watered down drink... now you can apparently do that in the comfort of your own home.

I wouldn't have guessed the MM news would hit such a topical show... pretty interesting.

Advanced Taster

MM Proof Change

I haven't watched Leno in years but that was spot on

Guru

Anytime anyone tells me they like Captain Morgan, I tell them about Sailor Jerry and anytime anyone tells me they like Makers I tell them about OWA.

I'll be honest, I don't understand buying brands instead of types, and this latest move by Beam Just makes me want to tell everybody I know about this shit move.

Guru

MM Proof Change

Laphroaig is the only thing I drink from Beam - if they leave this Islay product line well enough alone, what they do with MM doesn't really bug me.

That said, I'd be interested in a MM premium product (BiB/101/extra-aged).
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    No, they're changing out the hand-dipped wax for a plastic shrink-wrap capsule with red wax printed on it, that can be applied by a machine. But that's the last change, honest. ...
    I had to re-read this to make sure it said what I thought it said. I'm still not sure if this is serious, or just Chuck's sense of humor. If MM looses the trademark red wax too, it will be obvious to most people that Beam is downgrading the brand. If it really happens, will MM threaten to sue the other companies that use plastic shrink-wrap capsules?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I would call Four Roses Yellow Label a premium 80 proof and Jack Daniels too, also Basil Hayden albeit it is far from my favorite. Maker's can still claim this territory and of course it will still be above 80 proof, but it is a much milder tasting drink due to its formulation (the wheat content in part but just its overall profile). So some distinctiveness has been lost IMO by the drop to 42% ABV, it is less premium than it was.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 02-13-2013 at 04:59.

Guru

Four Roses Yellow label is a good example of what a Maker can do with a 80 proof expression, of course Bourbons sold overseas have been 80 proof for years and Canadian spirits at 80 proof sell right smartly here.

Fortunately, in our domestic market, we have access to a good many Bourbons in the 86-90-100 proof categories.

Connoisseur

I'm on MM overload and too lazy to read through the entire thread so can
    someone help out with a couple questions:

Has MM said that this proof drop is a temporary thing and it will return to 90
    sometime in the future (like WT did with the Rye reduction)?

Can anyone think of an example of a brand that reduced proof which was later
    returned to the higher proof?
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
    Has MM said that this proof drop is a temporary thing and it will return to 90
    sometime in the future (like WT did with the Rye reduction)?
    They are saying this is a permanent move. Quite surprising imho to say that so definitively, but that is what they are saying.

I might add, though I have not purchased MM in quite some time, that particularly due to the "permanent" qualifier they are using, I did put some MM on hold at a local store to pick up. May as well have a bit of the 90-proof stuff around the house.
    Last edited by jeffrey r; 02-13-2013 at 08:38.

Guru

Can't think of one offhand, at least not one that came back under the same brand.