Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: MM Proof Change

Advanced Taster

Re: MM Proof Change

I haven't seen anyone mention this quote from the Fox News article, directly preceding Chuck Cowdery's appearance:

"[Bill Samuels Sr.] never really was wed to 90 proof anyway," [Bill Samuels Jr.] said. "It's just that he had to pick something, and he knew that anything over 90, the alcohol smothered the taste of whiskey and he was a little nervous about going too much lower."

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...#ixzz2KhdgGXNe

Strange thing to say, since they had a 101 proof expression in the past, and currently one at 94. The fact that this is their current talking point seems to offer even less of a hope that we'll ever see anything approaching 100 proof from this distillery.

Guru

Almost gave in and bought a 45er today. Almost.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I'm surprised that things are happening this quickly, but my local whiskey monger tells me that the shipment of MM 750's that he is getting in this week will be the lower proof stuff.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Smothered the taste of the whiskey? Even if it was drunk in a cocktail, with soda pop or in a highball or even with ice alone, which I would think is the way 100 proof or any bourbon is usually drunk? Sounds odd to me.

To me proof has simply been a value proposition, i.e., I've always assumed that the more alcohol in the bottle, the better the value on a unit of alcohol basis. There is nothing magic in how the distiller puts water in (IMO), I can put in my own to get it (should I choose) where I want it to be.

I wonder if the numbers bear this out though. E.g. an interesting spreadsheet would be one which indicated the cost of different proof bourbons on a unit of alcohol basis. It would have to be done within a given age range though, say all bourbons from 4-5 years old, 6-8, 8-10, etc., something like that. An arbitrary factor would be involved but that's okay within reason. I would think the higher alcohol bourbons are better values, but am not 100% sure. At any rate, Makers, for those who view it as I do, at 90 proof is surely a better proposition than at 84 proof because the price hasn't come down.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 02-13-2013 at 11:00.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I wonder if the numbers bear this out though. E.g. an interesting spreadsheet would be one which indicated the cost of different proof bourbons on a unit of alcohol basis. It would have to be done within a given age range though, say all bourbons from 4-5 years old, 6-8, 8-10, etc., something like that. An arbitrary factor would be involved but that's okay within reason. I would think the higher alcohol bourbons are better values, but am not 100% sure.

Gary
    This would be kind of neat to see. Of course the time involved puting something like that together might be limiting. Anyone know someone who has a fondness for spreadsheets and is a wee bit on the obsessive/compulsive side?

~S

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    This would be kind of neat to see. Of course the time involved puting something like that together might be limiting. Anyone know someone who has a fondness for spreadsheets and is a wee bit on the obsessive/compulsive side?

~S
    I nominate Squire.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

MM Proof Change

Well I've never purchased a bottle of MM, so after reading this news I'm sure that trend will continue.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I nominate Squire.
    Second.

I also hope he'll be able to make it to the Sampler. The man has been on a roll for quite some time.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Novice

It's begun. I saw Maker's Lite 750s at a store in Chicago today. The 1.75s were still the 90 proof.

Virtuoso

damn... that was fast!
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.