Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: MM Proof Change

Re: MM Proof Change

Saw the threads on the evening news. You think you what consistency with a Brand.
    Never had the stuff and never will.

For $28 I will have W.L. Weller 12yr..I will pour some tonight.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
    My understanding was that they are trying to meet rising global demand. While there might not be a significant shortage in the US now, there would be if they started shipping more overseas.

While I have never seen a store without MM on the shelf, I have noticed that I rarely see the 1.75L bottles anymore. I just though the MM46 had cannibalized the shelf space.
    While jumping on the bashing wagon, I never thought about global sales, whish was silly of me. Maybe they are having problems keeping up to the export market. It would be the only thing that would make sense about their statement. I have yet to be in a store here in the US where they weren't flush with MM, including 1.75's. I say this having visited plenty of stores in the New Enlgand and Midwestern part of the US. Of course, now with the rush, the liquor store i frequent near my house was "down" to a single row of 1.75's and 2 rows of 750's...

~SW

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    I have yet to be in a store here in the US where they weren't flush with MM, including 1.75's. I say this having visited plenty of stores in the New Enlgand and Midwestern part of the US.

~SW
    I would concur with this, and would go a step further. In many of the stores I'm in, there is more MM than anything else (except perhaps Jack Daniels). Having said that, I almost never see Maker's 46, which is interesting.

Disciple

MM Lite has started shipping from the Wisconsin wholesaler this week. That didn't take very long.

Guru

MM Proof Change

I think it'd be funny if MM suddenly reversed course and collectors/flippers started buying all the MM-Lite off the shelves to sell on CL as "collectors items" (at heavily elevated prices of course).
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

It seems to me that MM's spin has potentially created a sort of "unintended" Line-in-the-Sand scenario, by insisting that the new proof does not "screw up" or change the taste of the whiskey. I have to believe they looked at several proof points from 90, down to 80. If 84 was "indistinguishable" from 90, I have to assume that 83 (and lower) was not. So, any attempt to take MM lower in proof in the future, and with the same spin, will be very hollow, I believe. Smart people that they are, I'm sure they thought of that. But, the old adage "We'll cross that bridge when we get to it", and, the new adage "We have to expand in the China market", undoubtedly prevailed.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Astorwines.com has a 15% off American whiskey deal today which makes a 1.75 MM $42.50. It also results in lots of other good deals ($25 ER, $30 willet rye/HW DR), but it's a good price point for MM specifically.

MM is the "top shelf" bourbon we had at my wedding (and the bourbon in my flask in my jacket pocket, and what i drank at the after party following the reception) and the idea of not having some in the closet to pull out at some random point in the future is starting to register with me. On one hand I haven't bought a bottle in years. On the other hand there's a damn good chance that I've had more fluid ounces of 90 proof Mark than any other bourbon in my lifetime. A pair of the big guys at a god price should put my mind at ease.
    Thank you for this, just ordered 3 bottles. $127 or so with free shipping for a first time order. They are 59.99 each here in Michigan

Best regards, Tony

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by aea6574 View Post
    Thank you for this, just ordered 3 bottles. $127 or so with free shipping for a first time order. They are 59.99 each here in Michigan

Best regards, Tony
    Is that the normal price where you are, or did they increase it because of the recent news?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    Is that the normal price where you are, or did they increase it because of the recent news?
    Normal price here in Michigan.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by aea6574 View Post

Best regards, Tony
    Cheers Tony! Glad I could help. I love Astor and use them frequently for "daily" pours. When I used my free shipping on first orders deal I'm ashamed to say my order was nearly $800. But I really beat them on the shipping! Even now shipping was only $16 for 2 1.75 and 3 750s. A good deal any way you slice it.