Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: MM Proof Change

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: MM Proof Change

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Well, one of the steps is admitting that you are powerless.
    My daughters sheltie has more self-control than I do...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    OK, I'm a sucker. I bought some 84's yesterday...
    Haha. I'll end up doing the same damn thing.

Disciple

Can we go after Turkey, now??

My local store has lots of 42% handles. Didn't see any on the smaller bottles. I wonder if people will even both to look to check the difference.

Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Brisko;323829]Sooooo.....

can we start a grassroots campaign to get them to leave some in the barrel a little longer than 5 years? Say, somewhere in the 7 to 9 range? And bottle it at 101 or higher?

Brisko - They keep some 9 year old behind the tasting bar at the visitor's center. (or, at least they did last April). Be nice and you may be able to get them to let you try it. They have it to show that the additional aging doesn't necessarily make it better.
    Jon

Enthusiast

MM Proof Change

Except that when I tried it, it was a whole lot better than regular mm. At least IMHO.

Virtuoso

I'm no fan of over-aged bourbons, but I feel like MM is bottled at a transitional stage-- it no longer tastes young (any off-notes are aged out) but it hasn't gained any depth.

Granted, I understand what they are aiming for with the profile, so in that respect they have done pretty well. I just like my bourbon to have more character (either age or youth). I do really like the 46 but I like OWA a whole lot better given the price.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Connoisseur

While you are picking up some of the collectible 84% bottle, make sure and stock up on the special edition wax dippings, and the "bloopers" release:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS_K0iSFvc4

Remember, the less you intend to drink the juice, the more it will be worth!

Enthusiast

Picked up a couple 84s today in the Loop. I'm a sucker for bourbon with a good story, especially if it only costs me $25 a bottle, and I'm actually curious to see if I can taste a difference. I had a funny conversation with the guy behind me in line who was a MM fan and knew exactly what I was doing. He was happy to hear the 84s were flying off the shelf.

Guru

I remember going to a MM tasting a few years back, around the time of the MM46 release. After the standard release sample, they gave us a taste that was characterized as "over-aged" ---- this was said with a very visual and audible retching motion. Then, Kevin Smith, who was at the time, MM's Master Distiller, asked the audience what they preferred. Over two-thirds of the group selected the "over-aged" (i.e., more mature, more flavorful option) over the standard. There was a very long and pregnant pause before the program shifted akwardly to other topics.

When, after the formal presentation, I asked him (quietly) why MM didn't offer a a more fully aged wheated bourbon (since the competition did) he very loudly and defensively accused me of being an employee of the (undefined) "competition" trying to make MM look bad (how, I'm not so sure...)

A very insular company that is very successful... but only narrowly so... and for how long?
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."