Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: MM Proof Change

Guru

Re: MM Proof Change

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    and that Maker's 46 was a mistake - it would have been better to bring back 101 or the kind of palate I remember from back in the day as a limited edition.

Gary
    I never had the pleasure of trying the 101 but I welcomed the '46 as a step in the right direction.

Guru

They have gone the other way in the past, the black label Japanese export expression was 95 proof with a richer, bolder taste profile, now discontinued. Apparently it's been determined the way they're going now is the most profitable.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

How bout this solution MM/Beam?: Take all of the special wax iterations that you put out every year, that never even get opened, and fill them with caramel colored water. Therefore, your "Rabid Fans" won't be impacted at all. They'll never know the difference. Save the real whiskey for the regular bottles that plain folks like me buy and drink all the time. Or maybe, I've been wrong all of these years....

I'll try it. I'll determine for myself if I'll continue to buy it. But, as a loyal Maker's whiskey drinker, I am extremely disappointed in this move. I have been longing and hoping for moves in the other direction...

Dammit!!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Is the new 84 proof MM be using pink wax instead of red?
    ovh

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

No, they're changing out the hand-dipped wax for a plastic shrink-wrap capsule with red wax printed on it, that can be applied by a machine. But that's the last change, honest.

Big boy pants here. Maker's Mark is a major and mature brand, even though it's growing. It won't be growing for long if they can't supply it, and the 'badge' that is Maker's Mark to the Maker's Mark consumer, doesn't hinge on proof. The Daniel's proof cut dragged on because they never went big with it, so people were discovering it for a year. Now is a different time, media-wise, too. This will flame up over the next week or so and then it will be over.

And they still won't have built the third distillery that could have averted or, at least, postponed this.

Which, to me, is the mystery, making me wonder if they think Maker's has peaked. There has never been a million-case high end bourbon before. Could they be afraid of flying too close to the sun?
    Last edited by cowdery; 02-10-2013 at 16:54.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    No, they're changing out the hand-dipped wax for a plastic shrink-wrap capsule with red wax printed on it, that can be applied by a machine. But that's the last change, honest.

Big boy pants here. Maker's Mark is a major and mature brand, even though it's growing. It won't be growing for long if they can't supply it, and the 'badge' that is Maker's Mark to the Maker's Mark consumer, doesn't hinge on proof. The Daniel's proof cut dragged on because they never went big with it, so people were discovering it for a year. Now is a different time, media-wise, too. This will flame up over the next week or so and then it will be over.

And they still won't have built the third distillery that could have averted or, at least, postponed this.

Which, to me, is the mystery, making me wonder if they think Maker's has peaked. There has never been a million-case high end bourbon before. Could they be afraid of flying too close to the sun?
    Maybe, Maker's has peaked. OK. But, it's still a great "brand". Companies would give their left wingnut to have the brand recognition that Maker's possesses. I would expand, and keep with the line-extension they began with the 46. I'm not sure of a better brand from a marketing standpoint, to raise the bar into the uber-dollar, uber-premium, segment with. Can you? I can't think but that they are so shortsightedly cheapening this good name...You're right Chuck, this is a mystery...So many things just not right, here. These ain't dumb people. What gives?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

MM Proof Change

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    How bout this solution MM/Beam?: Take all of the special wax iterations that you put out every year, that never even get opened, and fill them with caramel colored water. Therefore, your "Rabid Fans" won't be impacted at all. They'll never know the difference.
    I buy these when I see 'em, and then I drink them. I figure I'm increasing the rarity for the collectors :-D
    Jim

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

None of this gets my bowels in an uproar. I will put a few bottles of the original proofers in the bunker and forget about them. Come to think of it, however, now the bottle wax freaks will think their bottles are REALLY special. Ha!
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    How bout this solution MM/Beam?: Take all of the special wax iterations that you put out every year, that never even get opened, and fill them with caramel colored water.
    Start with the 375 ml "dip your own" bottles at the gift shop.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post

I think that our former chocolate-man CEO Shattock has bigger fish to fry. The cost to expand a distillery to handle a conservative 7% annual increase is a laughable non-expense if you're thinking long term. This looks like a binary decision made by a crew that has had to deal with hostile takeover rumors from day one. These are chess pieces that are moving, and for many of these people, there's no such thing as long term.